The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Anyone else enjoy Red Stripe?
I like...the commercials.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
is Earnest

Red Stripe is tasty stuff, but I think it's generally a little overpriced.

I can't think of a good way to organize this, so here's a big list of beers I like in no particular order:

Prima Pils and Golden Monkey from Victory
Dogfish Head IPAs
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo extra IPA
Anchor Steam
New Glarus Spotted Cow
Fat Tire from New Belgium
Bell's Oberon; Third Coast; Two Hearted; Winter White Ale; Hopslam; others
Magic Hat #9
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold; Burning River; Eliot Ness; Edmund Fitzgerald
Harpoon IPA
Brooklyn East India Pale Ale; Lager; Brown Ale; Winter Ale
Yuengling
Summit Pilsner
Flying Dog Pale Ale
Lagunitas IPA
North Coast Red Seal, Scrimshaw and Old Rasputin
Delirium Tremens
Lindeman's Framboise
New Holland Dragon's Milk and Mad Hatter IPA
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye & Racer 5
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Ska Modus Hoperandi
Abita Turbo Dog
Summit EPA
Ommegang three Philosophers
Red Hook IPA
Two Brother's Cane and Abel
Allagash White
Founder's Breakfast Stout
Half Acre Lager & Daisy Cutter Pale Ale
Metropolitan Flywheel
Three Floyds Gumballhead; Alpha King; Rabbid Rabit; Moloko; Robert the Bruce; Alpha Klaus; Pride & Joy, and lots of others
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Lots of stuff from Goose Island.

Also:
Pilsner Urquell, Spaten, Stella Artois, PBR, High Life, Point, Shiner Bock, new Schlitz, Guinness, Murphy's, Heineken, Harp, Tiskie, Peroni, probably a bunch of other stuff.

That list is a lot longer than I expected, and I left a ton out. I didn't even touch on much outside the US. I often go to The Map Room, Quenchers and The Hop Leaf, which all have incredible menus that rotate weekly. Chicago also has really good beer warehouses that stock or can get pretty much everything you could want, and hosts many beer festivals.

Also, I have the equipment and ingredients to start homebrewing, but I've been putting it off. I'm going to start with a small batch of red ale, hopefully within the next month or so.

Wow, I hope I don't come off as too much of a drunk! I have friends who are really into craft beers, and I tend to drink a huge variety of beers, but not a lot of any given kind. Generally when I go out for dinner I try at least one beer that I've never had before.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
I assume you mean within the city limits, my dear Hedgehog! While not in in the city, Blue Point Brewery here on Long Island is fantastic. Best part is it is 5 minutes from work so I can get fresh growlers at whim! If you are interested you can take the LIRR out to Patchogue. Addtionally, Great South Bay Brewery will be opening in June, also on the island. Exciting times!

I'm not intimately familiar with upstate, but I know the Saranac makes damn fine stuff, and I place Ommegang on par with Unibroue.
Actually, I know there are a few good upstate breweries. I was mainly speaking for what is available is the corner bodega. But I will have to do more research. I do believe that I have seen Blue Point.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Curious Young Gent

Patrick came off as someone who really knew what they were talking about until he listed Stella/Wifebeater.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Patrick came off as someone who really knew what they were talking about until he listed Stella/Wifebeater.
haha, I ruined it all for my love of Stella. Also, High Life and PBR.

EDIT: what's with the particular hatred of Stella anyway? I've never heard it referred to as wifebeater.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Curious Young Gent

It's pretty much renowned for being the ultimate lowest thing you can drink here, this side of White Lightning (which is a Cider).
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
EDIT: what's with the particular hatred of Stella anyway? I've never heard it referred to as wifebeater.
Really? I've heard it called that even in the US.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Life is a Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Anyone else enjoy Red Stripe? I like the little stout bottle and it tastes pretty good too.

It's also the only beer I have a shirt for!
Once. I remember it being pretty tasty!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
It's pretty much renowned for being the ultimate lowest thing you can drink here, this side of White Lightning (which is a Cider).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Really? I've heard it called that even in the US.
I've honestly never really considered it to be a bad beer. It's better than Budweiser or MGD, and I'd probably put it on par with Pilsner Urquell or Tiskie.

Now if you want some really bad beer, try Stag. In fact, one bar in my area sells a can of beer simply labeled "American Beer," which is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Even at $1 a can I consider it overpriced.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
and ermine, too

I live right down the street from Victory, so there's an awful lot of Hopdevil on tap around here. I'd still rather have a Stone IPA, but I always feel obligated to buy local when I can. I feel the same way with Victory Storm King vs. Old Rasputin. I'd rather have an Old Rasputin, even though it's not my home team.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Curious Young Gent

I've definitely tasted worse than Stella (supermarket own-brand beers spring to mind), but it's pretty godawful regardless.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Actually, I know there are a few good upstate breweries. I was mainly speaking for what is available is the corner bodega. But I will have to do more research. I do believe that I have seen Blue Point.
Their flagship beer is called Toasted Lager, which is pretty much self explanatory. It is delicious! The only other one of theirs I've seen in bottle form is Hoptical Illusion, which is a very nice IPA.

However, as far as IPAs go, Harpoon still takes the crown. Deliciously floral palate.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I used to like Stella Artois a lot... but I think the last time I had it, I had far less beer experience. I wonder if I would hate it now.

I tried an Old Ras once. After one sip, I convinced myself I could finish the bottle. After the second sip, that dream died. I tried offering the rest of it to my friends, and none of them wanted it, so I poured it down the sink. The thin layer of beer appeared completely opaque as it slid across the edge of the sink. I was mortified. I should try it again!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Stella should only be drunk if your only other options are Budweiser or Miller variants.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Life is a Blender

I had a friend in the first year of university who would only drink this one extremely cheap brand called Yankee Jim. It was the least expensive thing to buy at the liquor store.

Labatt Blue is also a terrible beer.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I am being eaten?

that reminds me, my roomate used to live near Bluepoint brewery and took a tour. Real small op, owner was real friendly. I had the regular and Hoptical during a visit and was impressed.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Minnesota Nice

Yeah, you wouldn't recognize the place if you weren't looking for it. I whole-heartedly love each of their offerings, with my favorite being their Oatmeal Stout. And they currently have an Imperial Cherry Stout that is only available in their tasting room. It is fantastic and everyone should try it. Now. I will drive.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Super Nerd

Now this is a thread I can get behind.

I can't believe we're on the third page and nobody has mentioned Unibroque yet.

EDIT: Oops! It was mentioned. I just missed it.

I should have more to say, but strangely cannot think of it. Currently I am drinking Lagunitas IPA. Yay beer!

Lagunitas puts out some terribly, terribly good stuff. And it all has dogs on it!

Sidenote: I've been saving bottle caps. Our previous dog had a collar with beer caps on it. I've been collecting Chicago-related bottle caps in the hopes that I can have a similar collar custom made for our current dog. I think I'll probably have a Lagunitas cap added as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Given that the first post in this thread mentioned Brewer's Art's Resurrection beer, I can only suggest that perhaps the finest beer I have ever enjoyed, philistine that I am, is Brewer's Art's Sour Cherry Bier. Which is due to come back into season in about a month or so.

Mmmmm Cherries.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Given that the first post in this thread mentioned Brewer's Art's Resurrection beer, I can only suggest that perhaps the finest beer I have ever enjoyed, philistine that I am, is Brewer's Art's Sour Cherry Bier. Which is due to come back into season in about a month or so.

Mmmmm Cherries.
The Sour Cherry is a damn fine drink, but I've only had it once, so I didn't want to list it.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

I'm all over German and Czech brands (well, they're the ones you're most likely to find here - but that's because they really are good): Paulaner, Krusovice, Erdinger etc.

I can't believe that there's practically no love for the German stuff in this thread.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 AM
and ermine, too

Re: German beer, and bocks specifically, I tried Salvator and Optimator back to back. They're pretty much on par, but Optimator is the Coke to Salvator's Pepsi (in terms of sweetness). I prefer Optimator.

Other than that, I remember enjoying a Franziskaner Hefe, been a long time since I've had it though.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Not a Beer

My wife is pretty much a German and Belgian beer connoisseur, but I'm afraid I don't know that much about them myself. She's into the wheat beers particularly.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevznachaY View Post
I'm all over German and Czech brands (well, they're the ones you're most likely to find here - but that's because they really are good): Paulaner, Krusovice, Erdinger etc.

I can't believe that there's practically no love for the German stuff in this thread.
I'd love to try some more, but I seem to have better luck going to any region and finding a local craft brew than a decent German import. I know of one real good store for beer, but I can't drive there.

I'll write some of those names down and keep them in mind.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Curious Young Gent

There's a barestaurant in Beijing called The Tree (attached to a hostel iirc) whose 24 page menu is 1 page food + soft drinks, 1 page pizza, and 22 pages Belgian Beers. When I return there, I may have to turn to this thread for recommendations on where to start.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevznachaY View Post

German beer is great! I actually went on a mini beer tour of Ireland, Germany and Belgium. I spent most of my time in Germany around Bonn and Koln, and I was traveling with friends who had lived there. Most restaurants that I went to didn't even give me brands to choose from, you just choose the beer style. Kolsch beers are great in the summer, and I also drink a lot of Weizenbocks, Doppelbocks and Marzen. I've had Paulaner before, but I've never heard of the other two that you mentioned, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Bitburger, Warsteiner and Becks are all pretty popular in the US. Oh yeah, Spaten is one of my favorites as well, and is often available on tap.

The best part about drinking in Germany is the Purity Order, which forbids brewers from adding preservatives to their beer. It's something that you don't notice in American Beers, until you've drank some of the alternative. Oh, and also you can drink on trains and buy beer from vending machines. Germany is really a great place to drink.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
There's a barestaurant in Beijing called The Tree (attached to a hostel iirc) whose 24 page menu is 1 page food + soft drinks, 1 page pizza, and 22 pages Belgian Beers. When I return there, I may have to turn to this thread for recommendations on where to start.
Keep an eye out for Half Man's Brugse Zot (Halve Maan). I went on a brewery tour there when I was in Bruge, and it's since become one of my favorites.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

Krusovice is Czech, though, keep that in mind.

(One of my favourite beer-based things is "Krusovice rezane", where they take half a pint of lager and then pour half a pint of porter over it; tastes a lot better than it sounds).
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
and ermine, too

I've always known that drink as a Black and Tan (although the porter can be any dark beer you like). Most of the time if you order it here you'll get Guinness Draught and Bass, where the Guinness floats on top because the nitro bubbles are lighter. Yuengling also makes a black and tan that comes in a bottle, which seems to be missing the point.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
is Earnest

I usually see Black & Tans with Guinness and Harp.

Tags
alcohol , beer , beverages , bitter is better , top of the hops , your favorite beer sucks