The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
My friend swears that White Russians with Kahlua taste like chocolate milk.

I want to know what he puts in his chocolate milk that makes it taste so damn awful.

I had some moonshine a couple weeks ago; that was pretty awesome.
I agree with your friend, I definitely get a chocolate milk vibe when I have a White Russian. Personally, I prefer Paralyzers to White Russians, though: fill a glass 3/4 full with Coke over ice, add 1 oz vodka and 1/2 ounce Kaluha, top with milk.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
forbidden noise

Stiv had some homemade Kahlua that he made White Russians with a few board games ago and it was soooooo good.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
I like tribbles

I may not be 21 yet, but my mom used to be a bartender and she'd make her own drinks. Anybody interested in something new to try?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Yesterday I went to my Guatemalan (now ex-)neighbor's place for lunch and farewells. Starting at about 2:30 I had three cans of Modelo Especial, three shots of Bushmill's, one shot of Żołądkowa Gorzka, a nip of cask-strength Scotch, and about a shot's worth of a strange Dominican drink that had a photocopied label and was basically a bottle stuffed to the neck with various woodchips and herbs and filled with grain alcohol. And the remarkable thing is that I basically only got to the edge of tipsiness despite the eight drinks, because I was fed an insane amount of fantastic food. I skipped dinner.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Sudden chomper

So my in-laws make a yearly trip down south in the spring, usually to Mexico or Cuba, and every time they bring us back a bottle or rum. Often Cuban! Trouble is, neither me nor my girlfriend really likes rum. In fact, we're starting to accumulate quite a stockpile of the stuff in our liquor cabinet. What are some good mixes that we could make with the stuff? I tried making Pina Coladas once, since I know that I usually enjoy those, but the recipe that I tried made something pretty disgusting. I'd be open to other suggestions too, if anyone has any to offer. Something a bit more original than "and Coke" would be appreciated, mind you.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Minnesota Nice

Ok, so, some of you are going to go wtf?!!? at this one, BUT! A few weeks past, before a concert put on by The Protomen, my cousin and I hit up the Whiskey Tavern in downtown Manhattan. And we see this special, I forget the name exactly, but it was a shot of whiskey (Jameson) with a shot of regular or spicy pickle juice. Now, at first we scoffed at the very idea. I mean, c'mon, pickle juice? But then they gave us a complimentary shot. And it was pretty damn good. I don't think I need to describe the whiskey shot, but the follow up of pickle juice hits your palette like a briny sea of delicious. We followed them up with two more of the spicy variety.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Minnesota Nice

Double post for MCBanjoMike!

Try this!

Zombie (1 serving)
1/2 oz 151 proof rum
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz apricot brandy
1 tsp sugar
2 oz light rum
1 oz dark rum
1 oz lime juice

Be warned. It is called that for a reason. However, it is delicious.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Sudden chomper

That, uh, seems like a pretty powerful drink. But it also requires about 4 kinds of liquor, and I'm pretty sure that we don't have at least three of them. 151 proof rum?? Where the hell do you find that?

Can you recommend some substitutions to the recipe for those who are missing some key ingredients?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Minnesota Nice

Ah, I wasn't sure exactly what kinds of rum you had. Bacardi puts out a 151 proof rum, by the way. You can find it in any ol' liquor store. Good for Flaming Homer's.

I honestly couldn't tell you what to substitute, as I've only had them out at restaurants. I figured, hey, rum, Zombies have rum! Maybe try this instead?

Mai Tai
1 oz. Light Rum
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
1/2 oz. Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz. Sweet & Sour mix
1 Cherry

I just tend to think fruity tropical drinks when rum is mentioned. To that end, I just ran a search and ended up with this. I admittedly am not an experienced mixologist.

EDIT: That being said, a simpler recipie, if you have dark rum, is a Dark 'n' Stormy. Ginger Beer and rum, whammo, spicy deliciousness.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice View Post
I may not be 21 yet, but my mom used to be a bartender and she'd make her own drinks. Anybody interested in something new to try?
Enlighten me, Alice! I'm pretty boring, pretty much just mixing things with ginger ale (Frangelico and ginger ale is my favorite so far) and drinking whiskey sours. I'm a sucker for a sweet drink, though, but like the unexpected as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
EDIT: That being said, a simpler recipie, if you have dark rum, is a Dark 'n' Stormy. Ginger Beer and rum, whammo, spicy deliciousness.
I've got ginger soda in the fridge, but ginger beer sounds like it should go well with my Captain Morgan's Tattoo.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So my in-laws make a yearly trip down south in the spring, usually to Mexico or Cuba, and every time they bring us back a bottle or rum. Often Cuban! Trouble is, neither me nor my girlfriend really likes rum. In fact, we're starting to accumulate quite a stockpile of the stuff in our liquor cabinet. What are some good mixes that we could make with the stuff? I tried making Pina Coladas once, since I know that I usually enjoy those, but the recipe that I tried made something pretty disgusting. I'd be open to other suggestions too, if anyone has any to offer. Something a bit more original than "and Coke" would be appreciated, mind you.
The Daiquiri is a classic for a reason, and you can pretend that you're Ernest Hemingway when you drink it.

2 oz. white rum
1 oz. fresh lime juice
0.5 ounce syrup

Shake with ice.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 AM
We just don't know.

the Mai Tai is a drink for which there are a million totally different recipes. There is no one "mai tai." It's just "generic rum-based fruit drink."

The last ones I made had pineapple and orange juices, light and dark rum, plus some grenadine.

That is the original daquiri though. (Proportions always vary.) (and I've seen it with a bit of triple sec too.)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Not a Beer

A newish Irish Pub in town makes a drink called the Black Irish, with Coke, Guiness, Kahlua, and Vodka. It's bizarrely tasty.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I was thinking about something today and wanted to hear what you guys think. Bare with me, there's a little bit of a story here.

So neither me or my girlfriend are big on drinking. In high school I was actually rather against it, but I've since promoted myself to somewhat social drinker over the years. Generally I enjoy mixed drinks with a lot of flavor, but if I'm out with people I don't know, I generally get screwdrivers as my default (anything where I can barely taste the alcohol). As I start to move into my late 20s, I've started to understand what a social dynamic there is to drinking, and how it can play a major role in the way people think about you. My former game design teacher and now my boss once told me at a bar we went to after work that he was glad because, quote "I don't trust people I can't drink with." He was half buzzed at the time, so I didn't give it much thought.

At GDC this year, I'm hanging out at the IGDA party, mostly hanging out with people I already knew, which eventually ended up with me and my girlfriend hanging out with this guy from Britain. He was a great guy and on top of that, CEO of a company that started with iPhone games and were moving on to PS3 dev. After a while of chatting it up, he decided to buy us drinks. Now, we needed to be up early because we were volunteers for the conference, so we didn't intend to drink, but I didn't want to turn down his offer either. So at first, I just wanted to go with a soda... and he was very visibly disappointed (Brief aside, he then later started asking me if people just don't drink in America - he wasn't really familiar with my country at all). After that, we quickly changed our tune after that and got some drinks and ended up having a great time after that. When I told this story to my boss later, he told me that my general aversion to drinking was something I need to "get over".

So anyway! The long winded point I'm trying to make here, for both people who drink, don't drink and are somewhere in between like me, how do you feel about these sort of unwritten rules? Should I loosen up a bit more? It's not like I'm totally against drinking now, obviously, but is there a balancing point between what you're comfortable with and getting along with other drinkers?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
So anyway! The long winded point I'm trying to make here, for both people who drink, don't drink and are somewhere in between like me, how do you feel about these sort of unwritten rules? Should I loosen up a bit more? It's not like I'm totally against drinking now, obviously, but is there a balancing point between what you're comfortable with and getting along with other drinkers?
It might not be fair, but that's how it goes, and it's a pretty important social aspect to many people. In most cases you can get away without losing any credibility by having just one drink and saying you can't have anymore because of XYZ (barring a really good reason like being on antibiotics or pregnant). NOTE: You don't have to finish the drink, you just have to accept it! If people dislike you because you're not getting smashed, they're not worth the trouble anyway.

Caveat: I'm from Finland, YMMV.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 AM
We just don't know.

That's basically total bullshit but it's something that, as you can see, you're going to run into regardless. A lot of people, especially businesspeople, just like to drink and really there is a strong social aspect to it. Getting disappointed or not trusting someone over not drinking is, like, childish? idiotic? but it happens. Depending on how much you want to look good to these people - in this case, professional contacts and comrades, so pretty good, as opposed to friends/casual acquaintances you can safely tell to go microwave their heads - you can either reject it or go with the flow.

First thing for confident social drinking: I'd find a solid drink or two you like and can stick with - the screwdriver works. Some people will look at some drinks differently than others ("Fruit juice, lol girl drink") but take no heed unless you're ordering like fuzzy navels. It also projects a more serious/professional air to get, say, a "regular" drink instead of a mai tai. If you hem and haw about what to drink you give yourself away as inexperienced. If you can waltz up to the bar, tell them your order without hesitating, you look like you know what you're doing - oh he's got a drink/he knows drinks well enough, he must be a drinker of at least some experience.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with switching up drinks, but again, they should be ones that you know. If you go up and order a gin&tonic to change up from a whiskey and coke, make it look like you did it because you were in the mood for a gin and tonic, not because you asked the bartender for ideas 'cause I dunno drinks, lol! (ALSO: don't mix drinks too much under any circumstance. You probably know this but it bears repeating.) Also you run the risk of getting something that you don't actually like the taste of, which will make you look like a huge noob.

Next, I'd find a good limit for yourself - like "I can't have more than X drinks if I need to (insert various activities here, be they "carry on a professional conversation" or "stand up by myself") and apply them as necessary. If you have your, say, two drinks, just tell them that you've hit your limit and you're done for the night. If you're drinking with a real manchild who's going to try pressuring/pouting you into another one, cut your limit down by one so you can gracefully and safely say "WELLL, ok, just one more" without selling yourself down the river. Remember that on average your body processes one drink per hour, so over a long night you can have a drink about every half hour and technically never get more than 2 drinks in your system on average. Water and fatty foods such as they have at bars will cut down and spread out the effects of alcohol. Carbonated beverages will actually make the effects worse.

This should get you to a point where you can order a drink or two and consume them while remaining safe and sociable and in control, all while projecting the image of someone who's comfortable drinking. And once you get it down, it will be because you are comfortable drinking.

This is probably way more/a completely different kind of thing than you wanted to hear. Oh well, already wrote it, can't not post it now.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Love and Peace

This is more of a "house party" solution than a "business party" solution for obvious reasons, but you could also take/order a single drink that you don't find too bad, drink it, but keep refilling it throughout the night with water/virgin juice to make it look like you're putting them away along with everyone else.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
NOTE: You don't have to finish the drink, you just have to accept it! If people dislike you because you're not getting smashed, they're not worth the trouble anyway.
I think this is important to remember.

Honestly, unless the person in question is driving home, then I probably wouldn't trust anyone who wouldn't drink a single beer either. Going out for drinks isn't necesssarily about getting plastered, it's about loosening up a bit. Unless you are drivign or have some kind of medical or religious issue, just accept one alcoholic drink to chill out a bit and everything will be fine.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 AM
We just don't know.

Since alcohol counts as recreational drug use, I wouldn't begrudge someone who chooses not to partake. I might think it's weird, but I couldn't bring myself to distrust them. That just doesn't make any goddamn sense to me.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I'd like to think I'm pretty relaxed when I'm not drinking. I'm fairly laid back, perhaps too much for my own damn good. It really doesn't help that I just don't like the taste of alcohol, so I try to find things that hide it as much as possible.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
I'd like to think I'm pretty relaxed when I'm not drinking. I'm fairly laid back, perhaps too much for my own damn good. It really doesn't help that I just don't like the taste of alcohol, so I try to find things that hide it as much as possible.
And this is a really good reason to accept your friend's offer to buy you a drink and slowly nurse it for rest of the evening. It's not a good reason to ask for a soda instead, unless you're driving home or have some religious belief/medical condition. You don't have to chug it, but when someone offers to buy you a drink, it's polite to accept. A few sips of a gin fizz or whatever won't get you wasted, and it will put the person who initially wanted to buy you a drink at ease.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
gatchapon 3*

wow. you're making it sound like people who don't drink are to be tied to a stake or something. My wife doesn't drink at all, and pretty much hates alcohol in general, because of some traumatic experiences and things. She's not at all religious nor does she have a medical issue, and if you were to offer her a drink, she'd politely refuse. Is that so wrong?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
A No.1

Yeah, fuck anyone that wants to do me a nice thing and then gets their panties in a bunch because I don't like alcohol. If they're doing it to be nice, they can buy me a soda.

...I mean, not me, because I love my alcohol. But that's the right attitude to have.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Yeah, fuck anyone that wants to do me a nice thing and then gets their panties in a bunch because I don't like alcohol. If they're doing it to be nice, they can buy me a soda.

...I mean, not me, because I love my alcohol. But that's the right attitude to have.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

A while ago in the thread about picky eating, Shivam, you said basically the same exact thing that estragon said, but about food instead of drink.

I understand that being pressured to drink alcoholic drinks can have a more pharmaceutical effect than being pressured to eat a food you find distasteful, especially if we're talking about an extreme example where somebody keeps trying to buy you shot after shot or something; but barring an actual medical condition, nursing a beer or a gin and tonic over the span of an hour to avoid creating social tension is the exact same thing as accepting a non-ideal food item in a similar social situation.

I think you just have to gauge the situation and strike a balance between your own comfort and the comfort of the people you're with. It's case-by-case. Sometimes it's okay to turn down a plate of food or an alcoholic drink. (It would be okay in my house for sure. I support my guests' right to have no taste.) But sometimes turning down a drink is an even more serious affront than going to the Shivam household and refusing the dinner you've made.

Last edited by Ethan; 06-23-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
gatchapon 3*

i guess i just value them differently. alcohol can fuck you up, and can change your attitude and impair your mind. food generally doesn't. i view it as if someone casually offered me a joint-- i'd politely refuse, and move on with my day.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Sudden chomper

Let me tell you, in my girlfriend's French family you had best have a good reason if you don't want to drink. Not to say that you have to get shitfaced, but when everyone around you is drinking, it seems strange to have one person abstaining. Not that I'm saying this is an ideal situation (then again, I'm a picky eater and prefer not to have anything forced on me, be it food or drink), but it's just the way people are.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
gatchapon 3*

i guess its just cultural differences. in my family, drinking is pretty verboten, but that's a combination of being really orthodox and coming from a state where prohibition is active. And my wife just doesn't like alcohol at all.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

If you absolutely can't/won't drink alcohol as Heather won't, then I think an important tool in your social utility belt has to be a quick little white lie about how you're allergic to alcohol and will get sick if you are exposed to it at all. There is a big difference between "I can't drink" and "I won't drink with you", and some cultures would automatically assume you meant the latter unless you have explained.

But yeah, barring an absolute personal rule to avoid alcohol, I think nursing a drink beats out a little white lie. If you're drinking with them — however slowly — it's a symbol that you're willing to let your guard down with them and be real, and it will be repaid in warmth.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
gatchapon 3*

for me, its not an issue. i'm ok with drinking socially, and tend to nurse the drink as mentioned above. but my wife's just not into that, and that's ok.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation