The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe View Post
Ok, one BIG REQUEST.

The 48 hour turns? Mandatory and UNCHANGING, no voting to end early. It gives way too much advantage to people that happen to be on earliest in the day, and prevents that social interaction and bluffing that Red Hedgehog thinks can't happen online.

You need long turns so people can reply back and forth, especially if they don't log on during the day at work...we also need a vote for a starting day so people aren't going to miss the first day's early action and get screwed over thusly.

More than once in a forum Werewolf game I've seen the GM end the turn early because most of the votes are in...YET VOTES CHANGE. In the current Qt3 one (Paranoia-themed) i just got killed because they ended the turn at 24 instead of 48 hours...half the people were all 'oh noes someone has the ultimate security clearance we give up' and the other half were asleep...yet it's clear we could have countered the move if the turn hadn't ended.
Do you mean day phase should be 48 hours, or night phase should be 48 hours?

And yeah, voting for the first day start might be a good idea. I propose Saturday; if anyone objects, let me know.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

I would say that we say start on friday but do what you want, you are in charge.

Last edited by Silent Noise; 01-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I Cuss You Bad

I would be in favour of the dead player's status not being revealed until the end; not knowing if you've managed to kill any Mafioso or not adds to the paranoia. Also 48 hours is good for me in my time zone - it means I won't miss as much.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
Do you mean day phase should be 48 hours, or night phase should be 48 hours?

And yeah, voting for the first day start might be a good idea. I propose Saturday; if anyone objects, let me know.
It can be 24 hours per day and per night, or 48 for one and not the other, whatever you think best; opinions welcome. Just make it an iron-clad rule that's how long turns take until you get an unanimous vote to advance. That way it's impossible to be blindsided by a turn advancing before its appointed time.

However, even introducing the idea you can vote to speed a turn means some people will vote to advance and check out of the game for a while.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I'll vote for starting on Saturday.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I like tribbles

Damn, is it too late to join?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
It can be 24 hours per day and per night, or 48 for one and not the other, whatever you think best; opinions welcome. Just make it an iron-clad rule that's how long turns take until you get an unanimous vote to advance. That way it's impossible to be blindsided by a turn advancing before its appointed time.

However, even introducing the idea you can vote to speed a turn means some people will vote to advance and check out of the game for a while.
Okay, I understand what you mean.

Night phase remains unchanged, lasting either 48 hours or until I get all submissions. To prevent any Mafia from acting unilaterally or ending their PM discussions before their time, I will require unanimous submissions from all of them to end the night early.

Day phase will always last at least 24 hours. If someone gets a majority vote to be lynched before then, the day will continue until 24 hours have passed and in the meantime people may continue to discuss in the thread and change their votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice View Post
Damn, is it too late to join?
Nope! Confirmation PM sent.

ADDENDUM:

Since there seems to be interest in doing so, I will not be revealing the roles of the Mafia kills. If you really want me to, I'll also not reveal the roles of those killed in the day, but I think that kills some of the logic and strategy you get in these games. Additionally, I'm adding three new roles:

Miller: Thinks he's a normal Citizen, and only has the powers of a Citizen. However, he's got kind of a shady past, and if the Inspector investigates him, he'll get a guilty result. I honestly don't know why this role is called Miller, but I've seen him all over the place before.

Vigilante: Technically on the side of the Citizens, but very hot-tempered. And owns a shotgun. Can kill one person per night like the Mafia, but may also elect not to, since he can easily make his own situation worse. The Vigilante gets to know the role of his victims, but nobody else (besides the Oracle) does.

Oracle: In touch with the spirits of the dead. Gets to know the roles of those killed by the Mafia and Vigilante.

Last edited by dtsund; 01-20-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Roles!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

I would like to join if still possible.

- Eddie
Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Oh heavens yes, tell us the roles of those killed off in the day, maybe just tell everyone the roles of the dead at the end of the day?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Oh yeah, we definitely need to know the roles of those lynched during the day. Otherwise we'll just be lynching people basically at random.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I would like to join if still possible.

- Eddie
Consider it done.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Noise View Post
Oh heavens yes, tell us the roles of those killed off in the day, maybe just tell everyone the roles of the dead at the end of the day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Oh yeah, we definitely need to know the roles of those lynched during the day. Otherwise we'll just be lynching people basically at random.
Dittoing these.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If you really want me to, I'll also not reveal the roles of those killed in the day, but I think that kills some of the logic and strategy you get in these games.
I agree with Brickroad in that imperfect information makes the strategy that much sweeter, but at the same time I think I'd probably go a little mad.

A compromise, perhaps? Reveal the role of the previous day's lynching at the end of the day phase, so there's at least one decision the citizens and special players have to make without very good information.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I agree with Brickroad in that imperfect information makes the strategy that much sweeter, but at the same time I think I'd probably go a little mad.

A compromise, perhaps? Reveal the role of the previous day's lynching at the end of the day phase, so there's at least one decision the citizens and special players have to make without very good information.
That might be too much since most people are doing for the first time, as I said, why not at the end of each day period we get a list containing the roles of all the people* who died.

*Or werewolves if you roll that way.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
redheads not warheads

If you're still adding people, I'd like to join as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruik View Post
'kay, PM sent.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
had a hammer

Quote:
This.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
A tasty beverage

Quote:
Heyooo

Also, 48 hours is a most excellent thing.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaterite View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonkoala View Post
Heyooo

Also, 48 hours is a most excellent thing.
Done and done.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
fluffy

At this rate, half the replies to this thread are going to be confirmation posts from yourself!

... and it's mostly because of posters like me, who want to join in last minute. This game could be interesting!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
At this rate, half the replies to this thread are going to be confirmation posts from yourself!

... and it's mostly because of posters like me, who want to join in last minute. This game could be interesting!
Sent!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

One other thing:

especially since this is many people's first game, i assume you'll start two threads, right?

One is the RULES thread, OOC talk is allowed, but do not reveal anything that can affect a game (oh man, only one mafia left would be rather...bad). The GM can post replies on rules clarifications here without revealing the identity of the person asking as well as answer PM's on rule disambiguation. Winning conditions, timing of turns, things specifically disallowed, etc.

The other is the GAME thread, where it's rather helpful to stay in character and not rules lawyer, so people don't have as many pages to catch up on between times they log on.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
One other thing:

especially since this is many people's first game, i assume you'll start two threads, right?

One is the RULES thread, OOC talk is allowed, but do not reveal anything that can affect a game (oh man, only one mafia left would be rather...bad). The GM can post replies on rules clarifications here without revealing the identity of the person asking as well as answer PM's on rule disambiguation. Winning conditions, timing of turns, things specifically disallowed, etc.

The other is the GAME thread, where it's rather helpful to stay in character and not rules lawyer, so people don't have as many pages to catch up on between times they log on.
I think I'll keep this as the rules/signup/OOC thread (including signups for any future games, which may (read: probably will) be run by other people), while starting a new thread for the game proper.

Anyway, I feel this bears mentioning: I intend to start the game at (or around, but probably at) noon on Saturday. If you have not responded to your confirmation PM at that time, you will not be able to play.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Bluh Bluh

Since you haven't officially started yet, I'm assuming we can still join? This game actually intrigues me, and I want to see how this can be done on a forum.

And I may get to off some guys. I'm down with that.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
#deadfish2017

I assumed this was a topic about Facebook's Mafia Wars and avoided it until now. Really, you should have gone with werewolves to avoid any confusion.

(Please let me play.)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Since you haven't officially started yet, I'm assuming we can still join? This game actually intrigues me, and I want to see how this can be done on a forum.

And I may get to off some guys. I'm down with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I assumed this was a topic about Facebook's Mafia Wars and avoided it until now. Really, you should have gone with werewolves to avoid any confusion.

(Please let me play.)
Oh, all right. Since you asked nicely.

But seriously, sure. If you post here saying you want to play, get my PM, and reply to that before I start sending out the role PMs, you're in. Noon Saturday, Mountain time!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM
oh my car

I play this game all the time elsewhere, but I'm not going to have time for this one due to how many others I'm playing. I'll totally be down with your next one, though.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Set phasers to hug

Notice: Alice has still not responded to her confirmation PM. I'm just warning you: if you don't, you won't be able to play.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Right before we start, could you post a list of all the people playing please?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Noise View Post
Right before we start, could you post a list of all the people playing please?
Certainly, I was planning on it. As of right now, the list is:

PapillonReel (CONFIRMED)
Comb Stranger (CONFIRMED)
Lucas (CONFIRMED)
Shinji-Fox (CONFIRMED)
Silent Noise (CONFIRMED)
Brickroad (CONFIRMED)
fanboymaster (CONFIRMED)
Paul le Fou (CONFIRMED)
Wolf (CONFIRMED)
Epithet (CONFIRMED)
dwolfe (CONFIRMED)
Phantoon (CONFIRMED)
Umby (CONFIRMED)
spineshark (CONFIRMED)
Guesty (CONFIRMED)
Merus (CONFIRMED)
Alice (CONFIRMED)
Eddie (CONFIRMED)
Ruik (CONFIRMED)
vaterite (CONFIRMED)
demonkoala (CONFIRMED)
Warg (CONFIRMED)
Rai (CONFIRMED)
Loki (CONFIRMED)

...as you can see, everyone so far has confirmed.

Tags
autolynch the scanner , botticus is the rb , brickroad show , bronies , goatfferto , mafia , mcclain dies first , ponies , solitayre is always mafia , solitayre or riot , umby cycle