The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I picked up Happiness volume 3 and Bloom Into You volume 1 today. I haven't read the latter yet, but I finally got me some goddamn yuri.

Happiness is continuing to be really good at making something as played-out as vampires feel fucked up and scary again, particularly in the sense of making the idea of becoming one as unappealing as possible by making its superpower shenanigans quick and brutal while the associated vivid hallucinations and constant pain are long and drawn out. This volume is doing a good job at fleshing out a cast that's been deliberately skeletal so far. Nora's rooftop home being nothing but a pile of stuffed animals really brings home that she is, when it comes down to it, just a poor homeless kid who doesn't have all the answers. Also, no way Yuuki isn't gonna turn evil on us.

Also, for anyone who still winces a little at the downright trollish way that The Flowers of Evil evolved its cover design as the series progressed, don't look at the cover for the fourth volume of Happiness.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 AM

I'm a little skeptical of Bloom Into You now that I've read the first volume, because I'm not sure if I'm taking it as the intended reading of someone becoming interested in romance as they go through puberty and mature or my unintentional interpretation of forcing romance onto an asexual/aromantic person.

The art's very pretty though.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:36 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
So long as you Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action safely
Please. How dangerous could it be?!

I FUCKED UP

I FUCKED UP BAD.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Default ALSO OKAY YES OCCASIONALLY IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL WHAT IS HAPPENING.

But no seriously Trigun is so fucking good.

Like everything in the last four volumes just had me going WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!

Trigun is real and strong, and he is my friend.

Last edited by BEAT; 03-04-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: SOME OF THE BIG FIGHT MOMENTS ARE JUST LANKY MEN WITH HUGE SHOULDERS SLOUCHING DRAMATICALY AT EACHOTHER. *BUT STILL*.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Oily Butt Thing

after poking around it a couple times I took a proper run at Food Wars.

if you read like the first volume and the relentless tit kinda put you off, I recommend sticking with it, because after a couple volumes the style settles down and it's pretty much just a cooking battle comic, as opposed to softcore jackoff shit with some cooking in it. great production values -- this is obviously a Jump flagship strip with a bazillion assistants hammering on the hull.

this is the difference between Food Wars and Iron Wok Jan, though:

in Food Wars the hero learns cooking from his father, who is competitive and likes teasing his kid but is basically decent to him.

in Iron Wok Jan the hero learns cooking from his father, who from an early age beats the fucking shit out of him when he fails to master the finest niceties of Chinese cuisine. then, when he deems it time for Jan to go out into the big wide world, he bids the kid farewell by burning their house down with himself inside.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
this is the difference between Food Wars and Iron Wok Jan, though:

in Food Wars the hero learns cooking from his father, who is competitive and likes teasing his kid but is basically decent to him.

in Iron Wok Jan the hero learns cooking from his father, who from an early age beats the fucking shit out of him when he fails to master the finest niceties of Chinese cuisine. then, when he deems it time for Jan to go out into the big wide world, he bids the kid farewell by burning their house down with himself inside.
Comics ONE was the single most vital curator of pop culture in the first decade of the 21st century. (Gutsoon! Entertainment is in the conversation)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Gutsoon had the advantage of being able to publish big-name classic strips. Comics One had to dredge the gutters of the manga market for stuff to license (one of IGN's ex-interns went on to edit for them -- they couldn't even talk to the big publishers like Kodansha and Shueisha) and that makes their achievements all the more impressive IMO.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Gutsoon had the advantage of being able to publish big-name classic strips. Comics One had to dredge the gutters of the manga market for stuff to license (one of IGN's ex-interns went on to edit for them -- they couldn't even talk to the big publishers like Kodansha and Shueisha) and that makes their achievements all the more impressive IMO.
Blows my fuckin mind that Gutsoon was able to license big-money titles like they did. HnK? Baki? City Hunter? Those aren't easy asks. There's a story there, and it's a damn shame it'll never be told.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
There's a story there, and it's a damn shame it'll never be told.
Blackmail?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I thought it was just cuz they were the U.S. subsidiary of Hojo Tsukasa's company.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
I thought it was just cuz they were the U.S. subsidiary of Hojo Tsukasa's company.
Was that it? Mystery solved. I was hoping some gumi had dumped money into Gutsoon as a tax haven or the like.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
after poking around it a couple times I took a proper run at Food Wars.
Food Wars is nice, if predictable if you're genre-savvy. From who will win which fight, to how transparently the comic is telegraphing who will romantically pair up with who. It's a lot of fun though. Just from a subject matter perspective, reading all about this or that cooking is great.

And reading the comic is a lot easier than watching the show with regards to looking past the pervy parts. If someone gets their clothes metaphorically blown off, it lasts for a single panel and you can just roll your eyes and instantly continue. It's a harder proposition in the show when they take the time to have the camera (for lack of a better word) focus on a shot, or gag, or a jiggle for a long duration and as a viewer you kinda have to wait for it to be over.

I don't think it's a Jump tent-pole however? It seems like a fairly middling property for them. You can generally tell how popular a comic is in Jump by its placement in the magazine. One Piece is almost always at the very front along with other popular titles like My Hero Academia or new up and coming comics they're trying to push. Where as very unpopular and legacy comics (like Bleach became towards the end) always appear dead last at the end. And Food Wars has been pretty consistently sitting towards the middle to the rear of Jump for a while now. I think part of why it looks good is because the illustrator is just really good at what they do. I'm sure it helps that instead of being largely the work of one guy, it's a combo of a writer and an illustrator.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
And reading the comic is a lot easier than watching the show with regards to looking past the pervy parts.
In general, life is too short to watch Jump adaptations. I want to read this chapter in two minutes, not watch it dragged out to 22 minutes.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Berserk. Holy fuck, Berserk.

Berserk makes me pretty fucking uncomfortable sometimes, but the price of admission is worth it. Also, I really didn't expect my the people that are my favorite characters to live more than a couple volumes after their introduction, but now they're Important. Or not Important in an interesting way, at least.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Berserk is great in volume format, not so much when you wait four months for a chapter. It does spare you from The Boat Decade (or nearly to it) though.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:42 AM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Berserk is great in volume format, not so much when you wait four months for a chapter. It does spare you from The Boat Decade (or nearly to it) though.
Yeah, I absolutely love Berserk. I always want to buy the Dark Horse volumes for the reasons you describe--nice to be able to read everything in a go--as well as a desire to support what I believe is a pretty good translation. Evil-Genius is better than Band of the Hawk, but still leaves a bit to be desired u_u
Old 03-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The Boat Decade (or nearly to it) though.
Quote:
In chapter 286 of the manga, Guts and his party board a ship with a nobleman named Roderick. Due to the erratic publishing schedule and development of the character Griffith’s side story, Guts and his party remained on the boat for seven years (until the chapter 342), becoming an in-joke among fans.

Jesus. That's five years longer than Dragon Ball spent on Namek.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Are You Sure About That?

The other Berserk fandom in-joke is that Miura only works on it once he runs out of money due to his Idolmaster obsession.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 AM

It's kind of insane that the guy who makes the MOST BRUTAL MANGO EVER can't stop flipping his shit over fucking idolmaster, of all things.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Blue Comet

That's more of a joke than anything else...as far as I know Miura just admitted to liking IdolM@ster once in an interview, not that he played it a lot. The fandom, of course, went with it and made it a meme. It made us feel a little better to be able to blame IdolM@ster...a little like we hadn't been abandoned...

;_;
Old 03-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
In general, life is too short to watch Jump adaptations. I want to read this chapter in two minutes, not watch it dragged out to 22 minutes.
Probably solid advice to live by, but it's hardly an axiom. Most Jump comics are designed or reinvented to to run as long as readers will pay to read them, so that's a bummer if you care about any ongoing plotlines. But the ones that aren't can be really good. Re: JoJo. Then there's stuff that, even though it goes on forever, you don't mind that fact (fun fact: Gintama is now a longer show than DBZ was; I'm gonna be sad when it's all officially over).
Old 03-07-2017, 03:50 PM
hourglass figure

Why did I only find out about the Tsutomu Nihei Humble Bundle now that it's been over for months. Why do I have to live with the knowledge that I could have bought all of Knights of Sidonia for less than $20 and didn't. It's never going to be licensed in my country anyway (or even worse, it might be picked up by IVREA, who apparently spend so much money on licensing rights for manga they have none left to hire actual translators), so might as well get it digital.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa what a wasteeeee I'm so angryyyy
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM

psst hey I know scanlations are an iffy subject, but my favourite group (the ones that do Shimanami Tasogare, Kakukaku Shikajika, and Bokura no Hentai; among others) have decided to tackle Moyashimon since it got two English volumes back in 2010 and then never produced anything after that. It's not likely that something as ludicrously niche as Moyashimon could ever get another English release, so this seems like an acceptable compromise.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 PM

also for those who've never heard of it or need a refresher Moyashimon is about a dude at an agricultural university who can see microbes with the naked eye, but the guy sucks and the whole thing is actually just a trojan horse to make a fascinating, detailed breakdown explaining the alcohol production process. It's one of those deals where something is presented in a way that makes it incredibly interesting to learn even if you have no inherent interest in the thing itself (hence why I, a certified non-drinker, am recommending it).

Also one character is canonically trans and gets only the minimum amount of shit for it.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Shimanami Tasogare
I read that a few weeks ago, so great, can't wait for what comes next.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Conquers the World

I just started reading Berserk for the first time. I'm on volume 3, just starting the Golden Age arc. It didn't take as long as I expected for the art to get pretty good, but I can't wait for when the art gets incredible. I've seen those later volumes, good god get that shit in my brain pronto
Old 03-08-2017, 08:36 PM

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu got picked up for publication

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Not a Beer

Moyashimon is great, and now that teg mentions it, yeah, that was definitely on my depressingly lengthy "hey, wait, why hasn't there been another English volume of this in years? Dammit!" list....
Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM
The metal babble flees!

Yeah, as I recall Moyashimon was one of the titles Del Rey was publishing under their agreement with Kodansha, and when K took over the line/branding it didn't make the cut.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Not a Beer

Yup, looking at my shelf they are Del Rey, so that makes sense, and is terrible.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations