The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Goblin

We played a game of Settlers of Catan tonight (Cities & Knights, of course), and sometimes the probabilities in that game infuriate me.

On 2d6, 11 (5.5%) came up more often than 10 (8.3%). 3 (5.5%) was rolled far more often than 4 (8.3%), and 5 (11.1%) was rolled only once in the entire game! I had the Inventor card for most of the game and never used it because I couldn't in good conscience swap out my "underperforming" 5 for an 11 or 3.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zithuan View Post
We played a game of Settlers of Catan tonight (Cities & Knights, of course), and sometimes the probabilities in that game infuriate me.

On 2d6, 11 (5.5%) came up more often than 10 (8.3%). 3 (5.5%) was rolled far more often than 4 (8.3%), and 5 (11.1%) was rolled only once in the entire game! I had the Inventor card for most of the game and never used it because I couldn't in good conscience swap out my "underperforming" 5 for an 11 or 3.
Inventor card? Swapping out your numbers? I need to give knights and cities a try...
Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 AM
King Of Space-Time

I've always enjoyed Star Wars:The Queen's Gambit. The concept of juggling two battles at once is exceuted well and the board setup is sweet. Conquest Of The Empire is great fun and was recently reissued by Eagle Games, though try and get your hands on the Milton Bradley ruleset. They handle combat better. The best monopoly clone I've played is Milwaukee Scene. The compnents are a bit bare bones (except for the money which puts most mints to shame) but the flavor text really captures the feel for the town. They apparently made several Scene games for most of the major cities but I haven't had any luck locating them.
I used to enjoy Payday!, but recent versions stripped out a lot of the junk mail and postcards and removed "Sweet Sunday" from the board. Finally everyone should play Kill Doctor Lucky at least once. Go and off the old codger. You know you want to.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I haven't played it, but I've heard really good things about Race for the Galaxy. It's a card game.
Race for the Galaxy is great. It's a little like Puerto Rico with cards. Tons of different and good strategies, too, though I'm not wild about the fact that your homeworld strongly decides your strategy. Still, it's a lot of fun and games are relatively quick.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Race for the Galaxy is great. It's a little like Puerto Rico with cards. Tons of different and good strategies, too, though I'm not wild about the fact that your homeworld strongly decides your strategy. Still, it's a lot of fun and games are relatively quick.
After only 2 games, my group decided to stop using the starting worlds, and just start with a couple extra cards in hand.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Race for the Galaxy is great. It's a little like Puerto Rico with cards.
There's a reason for that. Tom Lehman worked on a version of this that didn't become the Puerto Rico card game. Instead, we got Seyfarth's take (San Juan) and then Tom kept working to develop Race for the Galaxy.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

My favourite card game is 1000 Blank White Cards due to the amount of creativity involved and the lack of conventional rules (not that I don't like regular board games). The idea is that the game is played like an escalatingly ridiculous trading card game, except that the players just make things up as they go along.

On that note, Brikwars is a Lego-based tabletop game that can easily (and is encouraged to) be adapted for all kinds of fun.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

My wife and I have been playing the crap out of Ticket to Ride on Xbox 360 and I'm really wishing I'd made more of an effort to find one at Gen Con. I may have to break down and order one on the interwebs.

I also spotted Blokus at Target the other day ($30) and made a mental note to return and acquire it one day.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 AM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nuts View Post
I also spotted Blokus at Target the other day ($30) and made a mental note to return and acquire it one day.
You, sir, will not be sorry.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I finally picked up Carcassonne on XBLA and have been playing that with the lady fan about every night.

It's funny, we're pretty evenly matched, although in different areas; she always scores the roads and rocks out monastaries, whereas I trail until the endgame and then make a killing on my farmland.

Last game we played she was really pissed at me when I ninja'd a supercastle she was painstakingly building, so maybe we won't ever play it again who knows.

I still have the scars from the Great Monopoly Battle of '06.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
I finally picked up Carcassonne on XBLA and have been playing that with the lady fan about every night.

It's funny, we're pretty evenly matched, although in different areas; she always scores the roads and rocks out monastaries, whereas I trail until the endgame and then make a killing on my farmland.

Last game we played she was really pissed at me when I ninja'd a supercastle she was painstakingly building, so maybe we won't ever play it again who knows.

I still have the scars from the Great Monopoly Battle of '06.
My wife and I often play Carcassonne with similar results. Usually when I draw a tile, I check to see if it can be used to my benefit. If not, I look to see if it can be used to hose my opponent. My wife appreciates that I don't take it easy on her.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
yum

Carcassonne gets a lot more cutthroat when you use the big meeple(aka Big Dude). And, to a lesser extent, the mayor(aka Fat Pants).

The barn is broken.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Carcassonne gets a lot more cutthroat when you use the big meeple(aka Big Dude). And, to a lesser extent, the mayor(aka Fat Pants).

The barn is broken.
I haven't gotten/seen any of the add-ons yet. I need to get the base game first. We gave Carcassonne: The Discovery a try last night, and it's pretty good. Same basic concepts with different scoring rules, and plains, mountains and water rather than castle walls and roads.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:

The barn is broken.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person here who uses the term "meeple". Also, the first Carcassonne expansion (with Inns/Cathedrals/Big Meeples) is a very good purchase, if you want my opinion. If you can get the tiny Count of Carcassonne box for ~$5, that's a good bet, too.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only person here who uses the term "meeple". Also, the first Carcassonne expansion (with Inns/Cathedrals/Big Meeples) is a very good purchase, if you want my opinion. If you can get the tiny Count of Carcassonne box for ~$5, that's a good bet, too.
I've had the first two Carcasson expansions (Inns and Cathedrals & Traders and Builders) for awhile and they are both good stuff. If just for the new tile combinations they add and not even the new rules. But both the new rules in them work well.

I recently went crazy and bought every other expansion to Carcassonne, but haven't tried any of them out yet.

And everyone calls them Meeples because that's what they're supposed be called. Duh.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
yum

My big list of opinions about Carcassonne expansions which are hardly worth sharing because all of them come with new tiles that you know you want regardless of the rules they introduce:

The River 2: A welcome expansion to the essential River 1. Can be unwieldy, though. The fork in the river can generate debates about which way the river is allowed to go. Good anyway.

King and Scout: Awards for longest road and biggest city. Kind of dull, requires a lot of scorekeeping and just makes big cities better than they already are.

The Count: Overly elaborate for what it does, but interesting. The most cooperation-friendly expansion, it gives you rewards for finishing other people's work.

The Tower: Adds a method for capturing enemy meeple. Has a lot of hosing potential, which can make it un-fun.

The Princess and the Dragon: Very chaotic. The dragon removes meeple from the board in a semi-random fashion. The princess can also remove meeple in a more controlled way which is mainly useful in fights for control of cities. The fairy protects against the dragon and is a rare way of scoring points without doing anything. This expansion can be fun if you don't mind the randomness.

Inns and Cathedrals: Big meeple count as two followers for the purpose of fighting over ownership - sharing becomes outright theft. New tiles give you a chance to score extra points on a road or city, but you risk losing all the points if you fail to finish. I'd say this is one of the more essential expansions.

Traders and Builders: The trading aspect, in which you get goods tokens for completing cities and exchange them for points at the end of the game, is not very interesting. The builders, however, are quite fun. By placing a builder on a city or road you can draw an extra tile every time you add to that property. Also introduced in this expansion are pigs, which simply add to a farm's score, but are very cute.

Abbey and Mayor: The abbey is a wild card that can fill in holes, and one is given to each player. Mayors are like big meeple, but they count as one follower for each pennant in a city(sometimes making them worthless). Wagons are followers that can move into unoccupied properties, which is less useful than you might think. Barns let you score farmers repeatedly off the same field, which is insane. If you like new pieces, this comes with a lot of them, but they don't add a lot to the game.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
gatchapon 3*

i buy expansions, stick the tiles into my communal pile, and completely ignore the rest of the rules. the core game is pretty much perfect and needs no extraneous mods.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i buy expansions, stick the tiles into my communal pile, and completely ignore the rest of the rules. the core game is pretty much perfect and needs no extraneous mods.
The core game is a bit too simple and luck-based. I like adding at least Inns and Cathedrals and maybe the Count to give people a few more tactical options. It prevents the game from turning into "who got the most abbeys," which is a common problem that I have with the basic setup.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Space dad

Hooray! I was getting demoralized by a long string of defeats, but now my wife and I are now just about evenly matched at standard Catan. Hooray! Now to throw Seafarers into the mix and go from there.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
A lot of words about the various Carcassonne expansions.
Good info, thanks for sharing. Once I pick up the base game, I'll definitely get some of these. The Discovery spinoff is very fun so far.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
The core game is a bit too simple and luck-based. I like adding at least Inns and Cathedrals and maybe the Count to give people a few more tactical options. It prevents the game from turning into "who got the most abbeys," which is a common problem that I have with the basic setup.
I agree. I like that the first two expansions emphasize roads and cities more so that cloisters (and farming) don't necessarily determine who wins.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
...we're shy.

I guess it isn't technically a board game, but has anyone ever tried Killer Bunnies?

We have about 4 expansions, plus the core set, and it is the most played game at our house right behind Arkham Horror. The chaos that it generates is amazing.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrael View Post
I guess it isn't technically a board game, but has anyone ever tried Killer Bunnies?

We have about 4 expansions, plus the core set, and it is the most played game at our house right behind Arkham Horror. The chaos that it generates is amazing.
I've never heard of it, but LINKY.

Sounds like it might be fun.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
yum

Quote:
Agreed.

Maybe it would be more helpful to put it this way:

Top Eight Best Additions to the Basic Rules of Carcassonne!

1. The River
2. Builders
3. Big Meeple
4. The River II
5. "Magic gate" tiles(from Princess & Dragon)
6. Inns & Cathedrals
7. Pigs
8. The Count

(That last one just for jokes related to the muppet of the same name...)
Old 08-28-2008, 04:40 PM
...we're shy.

If you don't like random outcomes, you may not enjoy it much. But, being a poor strategist, this gives me an edge.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Killer Bunnies is a hell of a lot of fun, but I never bought my own copy because, yeah, tons of different sets to buy.

If you want to get a bit more morbid with your chaotic violent card games, try Lunch Money.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
If you want to get a bit more morbid with your chaotic violent card games, try Lunch Money.
Let's Kill is another good one along those lines.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
For blood and gold

All this love for the river? Really? I think it's a pretty poor addition to Carcassonne.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:24 PM
King Of Space-Time

Anyone ever play Scotland Yard? My family always made me play Mr. X. I had an uncanny knack to surface on the opposite side of the board from their positions.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Standard Issue Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Anyone ever play Scotland Yard? My family always made me play Mr. X. I had an uncanny knack to surface on the opposite side of the board from their positions.
Isn't that the game where one person is the bad guy and everyone else has to catch him?

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it