The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 AM
#deadfish2017

Wait.

Wait wait wait wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
oh god

Oh God

OH GOD

Old 04-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Yes, let's feast!

This is the best
Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Indelible Inkling

I was just playing Guess Who with my 3 year old nephew, who asks nonsense questions and puts down whoever he wants, then lies about whatever you ask.

I got Boss Monster as a gift but have yet to crack it, and to be honest was a bit put off by getting a video game board game that seemed so on the nose.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 AM
夏の夕暮れと

boss monster is probably better than a certain similar game that it's more or less an inversion of, but i ended up voting for that one since i've only played this once
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Who's on stage?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I backed Boss Monsters when it was on KS! I haven't played it as much as I'd like nor have I picked up any of the expansions.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:51 AM
is Earnest

I played Guess Who a few times when I was a lad. Boss Monster is new to me.

This is shaping up to be an incredible thread. The production values alone!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM
TARANTUL

I've played boss monster to the point that I don't want to play Boss Monster any more. The expansion makes it a much better game, I've seen plenty of players killed when a pair of fighters grab a sword or two after a long treasure stalemate.

It's not a bad game at all, but there isn't that much variety in the box even with items and I've mostly seen everything now. The spells are also kinda just jerk cards for jerks.

Fairly certian I didn't vote for it, though.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
hi there

I've played Boss Monster exactly one, when a friend brought it over. It was very entertaining, particularly when balancing my dungeon's treasure against the other players' to draw in as many heroes as I could. I'd love to play it again sometime.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Dinger!

I played Boss Monster once and wasn't that impressed, but it wasn't really in the best circumstances, so maybe it's better than I gave it credit for.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I'm in awe.
I'm an awl.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
OH GOD
Guys I think JBear might have a problem.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:41 PM
STATACTATON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
!!!!!
I totally had and played the hell out of that game! Heck if I'd remember the name I might've put it on the list. Though it was so long ago I guess I'd forgotten exactly how non-interactive it is. The flavor's pretty sweet at least!
Wow! That makes you, Kirin, the third person in the world who I've met that knows about By Jove. If your IRL name is Alex, 100% of the people I know who also know By Jove will have that name.

I think it's so obscure because it was the type of game you could only get from, like, teachers' catalogs and stuff. We found it at a big rummage sale. And you're right, the flavor is excellent. The board is beautiful and I have it hanging on my wall. It also came with a booklet of Greek mythology which I loved to read through.

Oh, I was the person who voted for Boss Monster 2. I've played both games many times. The second game is better balanced, and the bosses get more interesting and useful level up abilities. There's also some cool secondary spell abilities.

I think someone was alluding to Munchkin as its inverse - it's far better than Munchkin because it never has a moment where you've played for 9 hours and everyone is about to win but nobody will let anybody win.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Wow! That makes you, Kirin, the third person in the world who I've met that knows about By Jove. If your IRL name is Alex, 100% of the people I know who also know By Jove will have that name.

I think it's so obscure because it was the type of game you could only get from, like, teachers' catalogs and stuff. We found it at a big rummage sale. And you're right, the flavor is excellent. The board is beautiful and I have it hanging on my wall. It also came with a booklet of Greek mythology which I loved to read through.
Nope, not named Alex, but I do come from a family of academics and giant nerds which probably explains how I had it as a kid. And yeah, that's the board all right. Very pretty.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
nice tie pin, but your watch band looks a little loose.

and you actually found a bertolli olive oil poster...

the game looks interesting. I've never heard of it.
I second the congratulations on the tie clip, and think that JBear's long-running gag is quite possibly the best thing ever.

I voted for and played a lot of Guess Who. It was fun as a little kid playing it straight; a couple people already mentioned it, but the way to play it as an adult is to ask completely imaginary-character questions only. "Is your character a registered sex offender" is a pretty decent starter, what with the array of faces they have in there. If you have it: seriously, try it sometime!

Never heard of or played Boss Monster. When I saw it, I thought it looked kind of fun, but all the comments from people who've played it a lot are making me think otherwise.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
a moment where you've played for 9 hours and everyone is about to win but nobody will let anybody win.
Sounds like Monopoly.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Never heard of or played Boss Monster. When I saw it, I thought it looked kind of fun, but all the comments from people who've played it a lot are making me think otherwise.
Like I said, Boss Monster is really good for what it is. It's solidly in "play it if you get a chance" as far as I'm concerned, even if it's not a game I'd recommend you run out and buy.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM
STATACTATON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Sounds like Monopoly.
Incidentally, both games have roughly 1 million themed variants
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
This way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Also, to everyone worried about the list contents, rest assured that we have a good mixture of games at all levels of age/complexity, as was my hope.
Hurrah!

Also, thanks for doing this and all that.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I played Boss Monster once and wasn't that impressed, but it wasn't really in the best circumstances, so maybe it's better than I gave it credit for.
This is more or less my reaction to the game. I didn't much care for it despite really expecting to like it, but I also recognize that playing the app alone is a pretty suboptimal to learn/experience the game.

And now to save that last sentence for at least three other games I expect to show up here.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Guess Who! was never my cup of tea even as a kid... agreed with everyone who mentioned binary search. I can think of three mainstream deduction-based child-targeted games I'd rather play or introduce to my niece (Mastermind, Clue, Hedbanz), so, well. Hope they made the list, I guess?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
This is more or less my reaction to the game. I didn't much care for it despite really expecting to like it, but I also recognize that playing the app alone is a pretty suboptimal to learn/experience the game.

And now to save that last sentence for at least three other games I expect to show up here.
And thank you for teaching me that Boss Monster is on the App Store!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#48 - Candy Land
"I'm the magical man, from Happy Land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaane."

# of players: 2-4

Alright, I'm just going to get this out of the way: I have never played Candy Land. I didn't know a single detail about it until 5 minutes before writing this. It looked bright, and colourful, and pink, which to young JBear identified it as a game for gross icky girls, and thus avoided at all costs. (Also, I've always hated candy, even as a kid. Yes, yes, I know.)

Apparently, it uses a deck of cards in lieu of dice, and the winner is determined after the initial shuffle, but played out at length as cards are revealed one at a time and pieces moved accordingly. That sounds really bad!

However, I have every confidence that I'd have loved it if I played it at the right age, which apparently at least four of you did. It is bright, and colourful, and flavourful, and I'm sure kids love drawing brightly colourful cards and moving their pieces around this whimsical board. If anyone has any childhood anecdotes involving this game (or anecdotes involving playing it with their own children, for that matter), I'd love to hear them!

(Also, to anyone upset to see this here: 1) Keep it in your pants. 2) Buckle in for the next few days.)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

The worst part about Candy Land is that you can be at the end of the game and draw a card that sends you back to the beginning. There's no interactivity at all. The best thing I can say about this game making the list is that there's at least four people that get to learn about games that are a lot better.

That said, I have kids, so I have a copy of this game (or at least I did -- we may have thrown it out after they destroyed the board).
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 AM
#deadfish2017

they were going to make a movie based on this for the longest time

staring adam sandler
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Bertolli?!?...

That's appropriate, because the box office gross and critical reception would have been predetermined.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:28 AM
It's all good, man

Candy Land is not a board game, it is a box that teaches very young children to grasp the concept of what a board game might be. I don't know why it's on this list.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM
King Of Space-Time

Rothfuss came up with a hack for this game.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Bob

It's on the list because popularity! Not that I voted for it, but don't all be such snobs. People enjoyed it, there is some merit to it.

My favorite memory with Candyland was playing it at the candy shop in Dollywood as a senior in high school. Mostly just because it was a novelty to play Candyland at my age with some of my good friends.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM
STATACTATON

If you have young children and would like to play colorful games, simple games, with them, I recommend looking into Haba's catalog. They are often fun for both children and adults, and they have the added benefit of not starting kids with the assumption that board games are ultimately boring and meaningless.

But I mean, if your kid really just wants to play Candy Land, that's fine too.

Tags
falselogic ruins #1 , olive oil , top 50 , top 50 countdown