The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Crabjörn

Default Strike! RPG: Like 4th edition D&D but good.

Hi!

You probably noticed, but I can't shut up about this game, so here is a thread for it. Here is a link for it. And here is a synopsis for it.

Setting agnostic, gradient successes on dicerolls (only uses 1d6 but it has rules for 2d6 if that's a dealbreaker for some reason YES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS), and it uses 4e D&D style combat, which I honestly really liked the look of, but with minimal mathy nonsense tied to it.

Currently I'm running a game of it set in the FTL setting, and I'm about to join a friend's game based on Innistrad. It's p. fun. Helpful Diagrams has proven to be one of the strongest skills in our game. We have psychic space slug Bob Ross.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Yeah, from what I saw of it 13th Age is more my speed for "4th Edition, only with the rough edges filed off". Also the 1d6 is a dealbreaker for me, weirdly. I like my nonlinear result distributions.

From the sound of things, though, the out-of-combat stuff might be more interesting. What kind of tech do they use there?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Crabjörn

Well, they have a few systems for certain things, but the one I've gotten the most out of is the Team Conflict rules. In my FTL setting I use it to simulate ship battles, and it seems in general to be their answer to skill challenges.

Basically, your team decides their goal (escape from the asteroid field) and the GM decides the goal for the opposition (pulverize their ship to bits) and the conflict takes place over a few rounds. The players can decide from a number of actions to bolster their Advance (get closer to their goal) and/or Defend (stop the opposition from getting theirs) scores, with more actions available if they're using a skill they're trained in. (If you're using a skill you're not trained in, you stand a chance to learn it, like you would outside of Team Conflicts. Skill acquisition in Strike RPG is intentionally easy.)

Depending on how the GM assigns traits to the opposition (which is also pretty simple: give them a base A/D equal to player count and about half that number from the trait list), you might have to favor different strategies from fight to fight. And if you don't quite pull it off, depending on how many Hits you land, you can downgrade the quality of the other side's victory (maybe the party escapes the asteroid field, but not without their oxygen system being cratered and in dire need of immediate repair).

Skill rolls outside of Team Conflicts are much more straightforward, though. There's different degrees of success depending on skilled or unskilled (but there's no levels of skill unless using the No Skill or Heroic variants, just different tables) and instead of outright failure they instead call it a Twist: you might achieve your goal, you might not, but the important part is that something about the situation has to change, and pretty heavily too (enough that you can't just repeat the roll with no difference). There's a few other things (they added conditions that give disadvantage to skill rolls going forward and which have a mild impact on Team Conflicts and Tactical Combat) but the system is fairly easy to figure out. Almost all of the players I'm running the game for are completely new to pencil/paper gaming.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

I really need to pick up a copy of this. I've been running a 13th Age game and as I run more games I realize I'm not getting as much tactical depth as I would like, as well as not really getting anything too new or interesting for out of combat stuff.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Basically, your team decides their goal (escape from the asteroid field) and the GM decides the goal for the opposition (pulverize their ship to bits) and the conflict takes place over a few rounds. The players can decide from a number of actions to bolster their Advance (get closer to their goal) and/or Defend (stop the opposition from getting theirs) scores, with more actions available if they're using a skill they're trained in. (If you're using a skill you're not trained in, you stand a chance to learn it, like you would outside of Team Conflicts. Skill acquisition in Strike RPG is intentionally easy.)

Depending on how the GM assigns traits to the opposition (which is also pretty simple: give them a base A/D equal to player count and about half that number from the trait list), you might have to favor different strategies from fight to fight. And if you don't quite pull it off, depending on how many Hits you land, you can downgrade the quality of the other side's victory (maybe the party escapes the asteroid field, but not without their oxygen system being cratered and in dire need of immediate repair).
Huh, that's pretty cool, I really like it. Kind of like Fate's challenges, but with more "there" there. It seems like a pretty flexible system, too - I could see it being applicable in a lot of games, including D&D 5e and 7th Sea 2e.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Crabjörn

Stuff the combat system does, while I'm here.

Building a character for the combat system is simple enough: choose a class (complete with power selection and archetype if that class has one), a role (defender, striker, leader, controller, blaster), and a feat. Done. Classes mostly define the central mechanic of your powers, while role is what niche you serve as far as team comp goes (fixing a minor problem I had with 4e where even if a class' mechanics are cool, maybe our party has too many strikers already).

In combat, you have an attack action, a move action, and a role action. The first two work exactly how you think they do, while the role action is more equivalent to your minor action in 4e: something else you do on your turn that helps the team in some small way. Defenders get their Mark, Controllers can weaken an enemy, Blasters can change up terrain a bit, et cetera. Your role also gives you some passive boosts, primarily things that happen when you roll high enough on an attack (so a Striker deals more damage, a Leader recharges their encounter Tactics power that lets allies move, that sort of thing).

The numbers are decidedly low, and there are no innate stats to build up (4e didn't really have them either, you boosted your two stats your abilities used and ignored all of your others, basically). In fact, player characters don't even exceed their starting 10 health unless they take feats that do so. I haven't incapacitated any characters in my games yet, but I have gotten very close with a few solid hits. Thankfully, the design is that I should stand a chance of Taking Out at least one player per game, and you full-heal before each fight (although conditions gained before the fight can hamper you in it, and just like a Team Conflict, taking too much damage can weaken your victory).
Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Banned

The best thing to do for a group might be making the rules transparent and un intimidating and it doesn't always have to be the DM's job.: 4e has very opaque treasure and experience IMO, luckily I know 4e well enough to know the golden rules so to speak of treasuring and enexperiencing and its no problem. Still annoying though. Why so complex dmd

Everything I'm reading here is the pen and paper call Adventure.

/in
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Crabjörn

Yeah that's a big part of why I like Strike RPG. Yeah it has a weird wealth system, but that is less work for me and the players to understand, balance, and work with than carefully measuring out WBL and figuring out what assortments of magic items they need to gain per level to maintain the power curve.

It also allows me to more readily make items breakable, steal them for plot reasons, or give them Flaws without worrying I'm rendering characters unplayable.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM
TARANTUL

As someone who's played/run a lot of 4E: just use the inherent bonus rules. That pretty much allows you to remove magic items entirely and still have basic balance (and thus to make them more or less rare/unique/special/disposable/have hidden drawbacks).
Old 10-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Finally ordered a hardcover copy of Strike to replace the softcover I gave away a while back and I might be running a two-PC game of it starting in a few weeks. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out if we do decide to go forward with it.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

My new copy of this came in, time to start working on the Pokemon hack I've been thinking of for the past several days....
Old 11-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Crabjörn

Something I learned in the session I ran before last, and that is a very important lesson for any GM running this, particularly if they have any powergamers in their group: it is always better for the PCs if they lose a conflict as opposed to badly winning it.

This mostly applies to Team Conflicts, where the Concession rules make this much more feasible. I'm running an FTL-themed game, and the party was tasked with trying to disable a Lanius ship attacking the colony they were currently stationed on. Because GAMERS NEVER SAY DIE, they were hellbent on winning the combat at all costs, and racked up a stupid amount of Strikes in pursuit of this goal. As a result, while they won and saved the colony, all of them got a ton of Conditions, their ship was seriously damaged, and the Lanius ship escaped (denying them their auxiliary goal of capturing one alive). They basically spent the entire next session convalescing and getting lauded as heroes by the colony.

However, if they'd lost the conflict but left some strikes on the opponent (they decided Strikes landed on the opponent were useless FOR SOME REASON) then the Lanius might've done some serious damage to the colony, but when they boarded the colony to start salvaging scrap, the party could then engage them in hand-to-hand combat, or even ambush one and capture it.

This isn't me trying to justify a railroad plot here, mind you. As the mechanics go, you will be less screwed up if you lose a fight than if you win it by the skin of your teeth. Yes, sometimes the stakes won't really allow you to lose a fight, but you can lose a fight and run away to live another day, and be considerably better off than if you win the fight at the cost of everything you have, and spend the next while rolling everything at -1 AND disadvantage.

But hey, I learned this lesson the hard way so you don't have to.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Crabjörn

Oh man someone else is gonna run this and I get to actually play a character I made!

Which I'm putting right here because I'm that excited! We're basically doing a light-hearted mid-to-high fantasy about a group of ragtag adventurers fighting an Evil Overlord because we needed our games to be less dark.

Code:
LENA RIOT:
Background: Freedom Fighter
Origin: Human Survivalist
Kit: Fountain
-Lena is driven to help the poor. Whenever she takes Disadvantage or suffers a negative result because of this drive, gain a Charity Token and write down the names of those you have helped. You may spend three Charity Tokens when in trouble to get somebody that you helped in the past to return the favor and help you now.
Advances:
-Pity the Enemy: When you help someone for no personal gain despite their enmity, disdain, or disgust for you, gain an Action Point.
Wealth: 1
Skills:
-Rabble-rousing [Connections]
-Rough-and-Tumble Fighting
-Property Damage
-Public Speaking
-Losing the Heat
-Wand Marksmanship
-Scavenging
-Incredible Endurance
Complications:
-Likes Breaking Stuff
-Low Society
Tricks:
-Fight The Power: A Freedom Fighter can always keep the public on their side when fighting an evil ruling power (or its servants).
-Wand Mastery: Lena can always use a wand as though she already knows what it does, and in spite of any magical restrictions the wand might have.
Motivation: Wants to fight evil, especially The Overlord, and help the downtrodden! Also really just enjoys causing mayhem in general. (Something something moral conflict but it's a cheesy one and she's at least okay with helping out if she accidentally hurts something or someone.)

TACTICAL COMBAT STUFF:
Magician/Blaster
-HP: 10
-Move: 6
Feats
-Resilient: Gain an extra use of Rally during encounters. Rally and Leader's Heal powers grant you one extra HP. You succeed at saving throws on a 3-6.
Class Features
-Chaos Adept: At the start of each encounter, roll a die and divide the result by 2. Lena has access to the matching Encounter spell for that encounter. When Lena rolls a 6 on an attack, she can randomly apply an effect from the Chaos Surge list instead of dealing bonus damage. Whenever Lena Rallies, she gains access to her Reserve Spell "Screw It Just Chuck Some".
-Chaos Surge List:
--1: Pick one creature. The target cannot attack you or that creature on its next turn.
--2: Immediately spend an Attack Action for the target. Only At-Will powers can be used.
--3: Target is Blinded until the end of its next turn.
--4: Target must make a saving throw. If they fail, they fall asleep and are Incapacitated until they take damage or an ally spends an Attack Action while adjacent to wake them up.
--5: All of the target's attacks have their damage reduced by 2 (save ends).
--6: Pick a creature. If possible, the target must attempt to move adjacent to the creature on its next turn.
Role Boosts
-Multitarget Boost: If you attack with a power of range X, you can make it a Burst 1 centered within X targeting all creatures within that zone. If it's a melee attack, you can make it a Burst 1 attack, moving it 1 space for each square of reach you have. If you do not make your attack a Burst, you instead get a conventional boost: on a 3 or 4, deal 2 additional damage to another target in range of your attack. On a 5 or 6, deal 2 additional damage or the power's effect to another target in range of your attack. Creatures can't be hit with a power's effect more than once. Only the first attack roll can generate a Strike or Miss Trigger, so you must roll against the highest-tier enemy first.
-Terrain Boost: Gain the Wand of Earth Shaping power.
At-Will Powers
-Bag Full O' Wands: Attack, Melee, 2 Damage
--Effect: The target and each creature adjacent to you are pushed 3 squares.
-Lena's Shock Wand: Attack, Range 10, 2 Damage
--Effect: Target takes Ongoing 1 Damage and loses a point of Resistance if it has any (save ends). If they fail the save, they are Vulnerable 1 until the end of the encounter.
--Keywords: Lightning
-Wand of Earth Shaping: Role, Range 5
--Pick one of the following three effects, centered within range.
--Rubble: A 3x3 area becomes Difficult Terrain until the end of the encounter. You may optionally remove Low Cover in the area.
--Dust Devil: A 3x3 area becomes obscured until the end of your next turn.
--Stone Slab: One square becomes Low Cover.
Encounter Powers
-1: Wand of Time Blink: Range 10, 3 Damage
--Effect: Target is removed from existence until the end of your next turn. It does not take a turn, cannot be targeted, and does not suffer or benefit from any effects.
--Keywords: Temporal
-2: Wand of Freezing: Range 10, 3 Damage
--Effect: Target is Restrained (escape ends).
--Keywords: Ice
-3: Wand of Unstable Teleportation: Range 10, 3 Damage
--Effect: Teleport 2 squares, making note of the square you used this power in. When any creature enters that space, it and all creatures adjacent to that space take 4 damage.
--Keywords: Spatial
-Reserve: Screw It Just Chuck Some: Range 10
--Effect 1: 3 Damage.
--Effect 2: Target is Immobilized (save ends).
--Effect 3: Target takes Ongoing 2 Damage (save ends).
--Effect 4: Target is Panicked on its next turn.
--Special: On a 3, apply one of the above effects. On a 4, apply two. On a 5, apply three. On a 6, apply three and also deal 3 damage. Lena cannot use this spell until she Rallies.
-Wrest Charge: Encounter, Interrupt
--Trigger: You miss an enemy with an attack.
--Spend an Action Point to apply 2 damage and the power's effect to another enemy within range.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

So I tried to run a Team Conflict last week in our session and it kinda was one of the worst experiences we've ever had roleplaying? Like, it was just aggressively dull and interminable. I mean, part of the issue is definitely that I was trying to do something simple for our first team conflict so it wasn't terribly dynamic on that side, but I figured it might take us five minutes to get the basics and move on to something more complicated. Instead we were rolling for over half an hour just trying to move on.

Eventually I made the base bonuses for the opposition Traits the players could remove and we were finally able to just stop. That part was nice.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Crabjörn

That's unfortunate that it went so badly for you. What was the scenario you were trying to work with? Did you have a round limit in place (i.e. if you don't get past after five rounds, the opposition auto-wins)?

I really like the Team Conflict system as just a one-size-fits-all solution to things that would be large challenges where the team succeeds and fails as one, but where tactical combat is inappropriate. Earlier editions had the problem where the design (by which I mean the designer) had tuned them to favor the GM over the players by a bit, partly because they enjoy playing games where the players face heavy opposition. The most up-to-date rules (set base Advance/Defend to players-1, select one of the actions each round, only use one or two traits) are also balanced a bit better so the players can actually feel like they can win without going way too ham.

I don't know how applicable my long post about how the players losing being a good thing is in this situation, though.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Looking more over the rules and discussing it with my players, I think I found a lot of little issues with how I was running it that we can take care of going forward. That doesn't solve the main issue of pretty much everything coming down to the d6 roll - it just didn't feel to us like the players have much control over how that roll goes.

I think the book could really use a lot more discussion about the philosophy over team conflict design. A couple points it should really emphasize, from what I can tell: a time limit should be nearly compulsory for any conflict, and traits make the conflict more interesting by giving the PCs something to remove from the opposition in order to feel like they're progressing even when they're not winning.

Tags
dragons , dungeons , non-d&d d&d substitute , strike rpg