The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Anyone drafted 2015 yet and care to share opinions? I'm doing so this weekend and haven't had time to go over the set in depth.
GW convoke seems to work (went 3-0).

Well, that or Roaring Primadox + Hornet Queen is a kinda dumb combo (especially when I can tap out for it and have the convoke Indestructible card still online).
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
who's she

Bizarralara lives!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Is the Duel Deck Anthology gonna be something you can actually buy, or an FTV type of deal where you have to hijack a truck on the way to Star City? (Assuming the latter, since they're reprinting Divine Vs. Demonic.)
Old 07-27-2014, 08:24 AM
gatchapon 3*

I don't care, because I need that to be a day one purchase however I can.

Super salty I couldn't get a Garruk axe from sdcc though.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Swag Brotagonist

The wedge names are hella dumb. They don't have the simplicity of the shard names. Excited about the duel decks though. Really looking forward to getting Divine vs Demonic and Jace vs Chandra. I'm not sure about DvD, but I heard JvC was really well balanced, and it'll be nice to have some precons to play against each other for when I want to teach friends or play casually. I tried teaching a friend this weekend with that M15 Clash Pack, but the GR deck is way more powerful, at least in the 3 games we played.

I also want that Garruk axe, but I'm gonna wait a bit and hope the secondary market cools down.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Oily Butt Thing

We have a Garruk axe at work -- Wizards just sorta sent us one, and we're trying to figure out whether we're supposed to sell it or display it or raffle it off or what. Honestly, it's kinda chintzy. The cardboard one that came with the giant M15 Garruk standee was cooler, just cuz it was fucking huge.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
The wedge names are hella dumb. They don't have the simplicity of the shard names. Excited about the duel decks though. Really looking forward to getting Divine vs Demonic and Jace vs Chandra. I'm not sure about DvD, but I heard JvC was really well balanced, and it'll be nice to have some precons to play against each other for when I want to teach friends or play casually. I tried teaching a friend this weekend with that M15 Clash Pack, but the GR deck is way more powerful, at least in the 3 games we played.

I also want that Garruk axe, but I'm gonna wait a bit and hope the secondary market cools down.
the shard and guild names were stupid as fuck when they first came around too. we'll get used to em.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Safe Space

They will always be Dega, Ceta, Necra, Raka and Ana to me.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM
does the Underpants Dance

God I wish I could stand to play this game casually. Those Khan teasers are pushing all kinds of buttons. I love almost all of those wedge combinations. I just...always get really competitive when I play Magic and end up drafting 3 times a week and stuff.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
TARANTUL

I don't see the problem?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
TARANTUL

I mean, it's hard getting to the store to draft more than that, 3/week is about my limit too. But you can always do some MtGO drafts on the side.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM

I was lamenting that the hobby becomes expensive and time-consuming for my addictive nature.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Safe Space

One of the cats thought Crucible of Worlds would be fun to chew on.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 PM
TARANTUL

Well, if they got any lands as well at least they can be put directly into play from the litterbox.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Swag Brotagonist

So have you guys seen the changes to PTQs/GPs? The GP changes are all slam dunk positive changes, but the PTQ ones seem like I'll have to see them in action first. The Preliminary PTQs could go either way, depending on entry fee/prize support, and how many an area can support, and when they schedule it. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, the PPTQs will probably cut out most of the traveling from nearby cities, or at least other states. Like here in Seattle, that'll probably cut out of most of the grinders who come here from Portland and Vancouver (and all of the psychos who make the drive from Boise or NorCal).

But there's still a large playerbase here, and I'm not sure how many advanced or higher-level WPN stores are in the Seattle area. Like if there's 10 stores within an hour's driving distance, and if they each run a PPTQ on different weekends, how many people are gonna show up? Will it be worth trying to game the system and going to a store with poor prize payout in the hopes that there will be less competition? Although, the people that would show up would be the people who really want to qualify, and probably a few who just have busy lives and happened to have that weekend free.

And with only 16 Regional PTQs for the US AND Canada, I really am not looking forward to the possibility of having to drive to Portland or Vancouver (or worse) to play in my real PTQ. Make them come here, since it's not like any of their TOs are better than Card Kingdom's. Also I am very selfish and lazy and would rather sleep in until 9 or so instead of getting up at 6 and driving for 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
One of the cats thought Crucible of Worlds would be fun to chew on.

D: Is it still sleeve playable at least?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Safe Space

Yeah, it's still playable. There's some tooth indents on the surface and a tiny rip along the side. The sleeve itself took the brunt of the damage.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
So have you guys seen the changes to PTQs/GPs? The GP changes are all slam dunk positive changes, but the PTQ ones seem like I'll have to see them in action first. The Preliminary PTQs could go either way, depending on entry fee/prize support, and how many an area can support, and when they schedule it. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, the PPTQs will probably cut out most of the traveling from nearby cities, or at least other states. Like here in Seattle, that'll probably cut out of most of the grinders who come here from Portland and Vancouver (and all of the psychos who make the drive from Boise or NorCal).

But there's still a large playerbase here, and I'm not sure how many advanced or higher-level WPN stores are in the Seattle area. Like if there's 10 stores within an hour's driving distance, and if they each run a PPTQ on different weekends, how many people are gonna show up? Will it be worth trying to game the system and going to a store with poor prize payout in the hopes that there will be less competition? Although, the people that would show up would be the people who really want to qualify, and probably a few who just have busy lives and happened to have that weekend free.

And with only 16 Regional PTQs for the US AND Canada, I really am not looking forward to the possibility of having to drive to Portland or Vancouver (or worse) to play in my real PTQ. Make them come here, since it's not like any of their TOs are better than Card Kingdom's. Also I am very selfish and lazy and would rather sleep in until 9 or so instead of getting up at 6 and driving for 3 hours.
At least this way, it's easier to qualify if you're a good player since you don't have to win the uber-big tournament to get an invite.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
At least this way, it's easier to qualify if you're a good player since you don't have to win the uber-big tournament to get an invite.
Oh for sure. Especially in higher population areas, since the RPTQs have a good chance of breaking the 128 player barrier and making it so Top 8 qualifies instead of Top 4. Winning one of many smaller tournaments and Top 4/8-ing another small one seems a lot more doable. Not to mention that GP Top 8s qualify too, and if you get 39 match points (I think that's an X-2 record, so, 13-2 with the new "15 rounds no matter what" thing?) you get an invite, but no plane ticket, which is better than nothing, since going X-2 and missing Top 8 due to bad breakers is probably a pretty awful feeling.

I like that the PPTQs can be a different format than the qualifier season. I feel confident that I have a good chance of making it to the RPTQ level consistently if I get to play Standard all the time. And then with a smaller playing field, I have a better shot of getting lucky in Limited or squeaking by with a budget Modern deck.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 AM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

For me, the biggest issue is this:

Quote:
Stores can choose between running a Standard, Modern, or Sealed Preliminary PTQ during each season, regardless of the format the Pro Tour it leads to is.
I can't play Modern because of the financial commitment to the format. Also it seems kind of silly that it wouldn't just be the same format as the upcoming PT.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Oily Butt Thing

The main thing that suggests to me is that you'd see a decline in the number of sealed events, 'cos given their druthers I suspect most stores/judges would prefer to run constructed and save on the hassle of getting the product together and doing the bookkeeping around sealed pools. We'll see how it turns out in practice anyway.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
TARANTUL

Man, the only reason I ever even play in PTQs is when a sealed one rolls around.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:25 PM
le petite mort

Uh, attendance for the Southwest's PTQ's easily doubles, but often triples or quadruples, when it's a sealed format versus some kind of constructed. Honestly, I can't speak for other areas, but if locally the PTQs aren't mostly limited, I'll be very surprised.

Sealed events are a huge pain in the ass and require a ton of prep work, but they get asses in chairs, so it doesn't really matter. Also, judges get shit on and don't have a say in much of anything. Again, locally speaking.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM

I've never played in a PTQ but I would be much more inclined to play Sealed than the alternatives. Kind of an interesting psychological reaction, actually. I don't think it's purely from a monetary standpoint either (since you have to spend so much to get a good Standard/Modern deck), because I think it's more exciting to play Sealed once the metagame has been beaten to death.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
gatchapon 3*

sealed is pretty much my favorite format.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Uh, attendance for the Southwest's PTQ's easily doubles, but often triples or quadruples, when it's a sealed format versus some kind of constructed.
The DCI has to have hard numbers on this kind of thing. I would be really interested to see relative attendance between sealed/modern/standard across different regions. What I've seen very locally has them about even, but I haven't followed the scene long at all.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
For blood and gold

New Sealed League time! Magic 2015 is up and I got a pool with nice White, Green, and Red with not quite enough Blue and no Black. White seems to be my most powerful color with two bombs, so I think I definitely play that. Green and Red both have solid cards with Red having more removal, but Green having a bomb. Here are the two builds I considered:

W/G:
1cc (3): Sunblade Elf, Soulmender x2
2cc (3): Spirit Bonds, Ajani's Pridemate, Raise the Alarm
3cc (5): Hornet Nest, Geist of the Moors, Reclamation Sage, Midnight Guard, Verdant Haven
5cc (5): Nissa - World Waker, Spectra Ward, Triplicate Spirits (I'm assuming I'll be tapping at least one creature to convoke), Charging Rhino x2
6cc (1): Carnivorous Moss-Beast
Off curve / tricks (6): Devouring Light, Hunt the Weak, Ephemeral Shields, Oppressive Rays, Sanctified Charge, Hunter's Ambush
---
Creatures: 15 (counting Spirit Bonds and Nissa)
Removal: 6 (though oppressive rays, ephemeral shields, and hunter's ambush are borderline)
Other: 2

Cutting room floor: Bronze Sable, Feral Incarnation, Sanctified Charge x3, Obelisk of Urd, Solemn Offering x2, Marked by Honor x2, Battle Mastery, Congregate, Meditation Puzzle

Notes:
1) Soulmender is marginal, but does pump Ajani's Pridemate. Should I replace with Bronze Sable?
2) I don't think i have the token generation to actually be able to cast Feral Incarnation hence it didn't make the cut.
3) I think Hunter's Ambush is good enough to make the main deck and side out if my opponent is playing green. I'l be replacing it for another Sanctified Charge anyway.
4) I'm now doubting oppressive Rays as it's only good if your deck is really fast which I'm not sure this falls under.

R/W:

1cc (2): Soulmender x2
2cc (8): Spirit Bonds, Ajani's Pridemate, Raise the Alarm, Generator Servant x3, Torch Fiend
3cc (5): Krenko's Enforcer x2, Geist of the Moors, Belligerent Sliver, Midnight Guard
5cc (2): Spectra Ward, Triplicate Spirits (I'm assuming I'll be tapping at least one creature to convoke)
6cc (2): Miner's Bane x2
Off curve / tricks: Devouring Light,
Cone of Flame, Heat Ray, Ephemeral Shields, Oppressive Rays
---
Creatures: 17 (Counting Spirit Bonds)
Removal: 5 (Counting Oppressive Rays and Ephemeral Shields)
Other: 1

Cutting room floor:
Rummaging Goblin x2, Wall of Fire, Foundry Street Denizen, Lava Axe, Blastfire Bolt x2, Act on Impulse, Bronze Sable, , Sanctified Charge x3, Obelisk of Urd, Solemn Offering x2, Marked by Honor x2, Battle Mastery, Congregate, Meditation Puzzle

Notes:
1) Rummaging Goblins could replace Soulmenders. It means Ajani's Pridemate won't grow and I give up a few points of damage in the early game for better card selection in the late game. (Bronze Sable is another option as well)
2) I think this deck is aggressive enough that Opressive Rays is the right choice over either of the Blastfire Bolts - though maybe Sanctified Charge belongs in its spot.
3) I almost want to get Obelisk of Urd in here since between the Elementals and Spirits I'll probably have at least two of one creature type.
4) This deck is too aggressive for Wall of Fire
5) I think Miner's Bane is the right choice over Lava Axe since their potential to get trample gives the deck the reach Lava Axe provides (and could be hasted due to generator servant).

(And sadly my blue of Kapsho Kitefins, Nimbus of the Isles, Amphin Pathmage, Welkin Tern, Frost Lynx, Coral Barrier, and Divination is not playable due to having no other playable blue cards)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Indelible Inkling

Ugh I just did a draft in MTGO of Vintage Master's, and my first opponent had a U/G deck that got every discard/flashback card I can think of and ruined me twice in a row. Having a Disk in a game makes me so sad, especially when they can just bring it back over and over.

On the plus side I got a foil Bazaar of Baghdad in the draft, which I never drew. So yay.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Uh, attendance for the Southwest's PTQ's easily doubles, but often triples or quadruples, when it's a sealed format versus some kind of constructed. Honestly, I can't speak for other areas, but if locally the PTQs aren't mostly limited, I'll be very surprised.

Sealed events are a huge pain in the ass and require a ton of prep work, but they get asses in chairs, so it doesn't really matter. Also, judges get shit on and don't have a say in much of anything. Again, locally speaking.
Sealed are always popular. If anything, I expect Modern PTQs to be less common. At least where I have been, Modern is by far the least popular format and people mostly play it on MTGO or when it's Modern PTQ season. I'd expect 40% Standard, 40% Sealed 20% Modern PTQs. I really like the new PTQ structure as the difference between top 8 and first in a 100+ person event is usually a roll of the dice. Getting first in a medium sized tournament and then top 8 in a more competitive larger tournament is something a good player can do a reasonable amount of times.

My friend who just got judge certified is upset about the new GP judging rewards.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Comically stupid finish to the local Modern state championship. Somehow the finals feature Blue Moon facing Naya Tron. Blue Moon is too dumb to mulligan to a Blood Moon and loses.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Safe Space

TOO BAD YOU WON'T BE GETTING ON THE PRO TOUR

Tags
card games , ccg , magic the gathering , traditional games , wotc