The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Space dad

Well hell, maybe we can figure out a time that works!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

My weekday availability is limited (work starts at 6 AM so I go to bed pretty early) but I usually have some time on weekends. Hit me up on Steam some time and I'm sure we can work something out.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Call me when they get to this.

We played this on tabletop simulator it was actually kind of fun but simple?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Beats the crap outta the Milton Bradley version.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM
-ryn

so, thanks to the top board games thread, I got Race for the Galaxy and my wife, Pica, and I tried it last night.
- we used the suggested starting hands and I got the Alpha Centauri one that synergizes around rare goods planets. I liked that for the first game they sort of set me up to understand that I should be trying to form some type of strategy. Mine was to use the discounts for rare element planets so I wouldn't need to discard much from my hand to play planets. My biggest problem was I could use $ to draw instead of explore but Pica had a bunch of consume powers she could use to get points, so I didn't want to give her that chance. And I had a lot more resources but I didn't have any consume powers.
- Pica had the "1" starting hand. I don't remember her starting planet but it was +1 military. It didn't seem to me like her hand was so obvious of how she was supposed to synergize. She ended up winning by 1 VP by using the 2x Consume. She used the colony ship and a discardable military card to grab some expensive planets without paying for them, so even though i was trying to limit her options for card draws, she didn't need them.
- we did have a hard time with all the symbols, but the reference card helped.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
- Pica had the "1" starting hand. I don't remember her starting planet but it was +1 military. It didn't seem to me like her hand was so obvious of how she was supposed to synergize. She ended up winning by 1 VP by using the 2x Consume. She used the colony ship and a discardable military card to grab some expensive planets without paying for them, so even though i was trying to limit her options for card draws, she didn't need them.

Unlike your hand, her hand is the "balanced" strategy. I think the best way to play it is to explore as your first action and base your strategy on any good cards you get from that. A consume strategy usually works well.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Unlike your hand, her hand is the "balanced" strategy. I think the best way to play it is to explore as your first action and base your strategy on any good cards you get from that. A consume strategy usually works well.
Almost universally, the first thing I call as Alpha Centauri is Consume-Trade.

Cards are more valuable than points in Round 1, the same way that dubloons are more valuable than points for the first several rounds of Puerto Rico. If anyone can even benefit from your Consume-Trade, it's likely because they settled a windfall world. If they started with Epsilon Eridani, they'll get a single card and 1VP. Combined with a 1 military windfall, that's probably the best leech anyone could possibly hope for in Round 1 against Alpha Centauri. If they started with Old Earth, they're going to hate settling a windfall world because they want to save that good for their own Consume-Trade (due to the +1$ trade power on Old Earth)

The only times I will not call Consume-Trade when starting as Alpha Centauri is sometimes when I have no way to leech a develop/settle in my opening hand. Explore and hope for the best.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Almost universally, the first thing I call as Alpha Centauri is Consume-Trade.

Cards are more valuable than points in Round 1, the same way that dubloons are more valuable than points for the first several rounds of Puerto Rico. If anyone can even benefit from your Consume-Trade, it's likely because they settled a windfall world. If they started with Epsilon Eridani, they'll get a single card and 1VP. Combined with a 1 military windfall, that's probably the best leech anyone could possibly hope for in Round 1 against Alpha Centauri. If they started with Old Earth, they're going to hate settling a windfall world because they want to save that good for their own Consume-Trade (due to the +1$ trade power on Old Earth)

The only times I will not call Consume-Trade when starting as Alpha Centauri is sometimes when I have no way to leech a develop/settle in my opening hand. Explore and hope for the best.
I agree with this, but you are replying to my comment on Epsilon Eridani strategy. :P
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I agree with this, but you are replying to my comment on Epsilon Eridani strategy. :P
Aye, but in pence's defense, I could see how he could read your post as advice to Taeryn on how to deal with his wife's start. The "your" is misleading.

But anyway, yes, Pica's starting world isn't particularly specialized, which gives her more freedom to use the fact that it's a little bit good at a couple of things to play as dictated by her early draws.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Played The Prince of Florence and Dungeon Lords last night. I enjoyed them both. The Prince of Florence was a lot of fun and though I came in dead last, I like the idea of a (as our host said) low antagonism game where you are trying to simply come up with the best place for great thinkers to publish. I just wish I could get my head around the points requirements to actually do the publishing.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it