The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I remember Bret blamed that one indirectly on the ring-boy scandal. Losing Pat Patterson temporarily put Vince a little too close to actual booking.
He'd know, since he was supposed to transition into feuding with Shango after SummerSlam 92 (there's a segment on a Superstars just before he loses the IC title where Shango steals Bret's sunglasses or something, just like he stole Warrior's elbowpad).

Then, of course, the combination of Warrior and Davey Boy getting punted and Flair's inner ear injury left Bret on top of the company seemingly out of nowhere.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM
concern troll

Strowman vs. Big Show

Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
concern troll

Man, what in the hell is going on with the WWE World Title picture? RKO-Wyatt rematch in a mysterious gimmick match that will almost certainly be lame and end in another Bray defeat, and now Jinder Mahal as the No. 1 contender??? I mean, I'm willing to go along with the ride, but this all feels like awkward placeholder until RKO drops the belt to Nakamura or another top-level guy.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Thinking seems to be that they're trying to shore up the Indian market, which is their #3 TV revenue source. Hence giving him the Bollywood Boyz as backup (which is going to be HILARIOUS because it's going to be like when Seth was running around with J&J Security and they looked like minis next to Randy during the feud... and I'm pretty sure both Noble - who's back from his stabbing - and Mercury dwarf the Sheeras).

And, of course, Jinder got himself jacked to all high heaven and it's still Vince's company.

(That PPV is going to be good, though, simply because of AJ / Owens and Nakamura / Dolph. The latter more out of bizarre fascination than anything else.)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 AM

Speaking of Nakamura. Some things should not be messed with. Each of those are hilarious or horrifying in some way.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Oily Butt Thing

also posted on twitter but in case you missed it scope out bad news allen's gravestone:

Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 PM
You want a toe?

I'm pretty pumped. I'm going to Payback on Sunday. It will be my first time to a live WWE event.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM

It should be a great show! The first ppv post wrestlemania almost always is!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 AM

If nothing else, you'll get to see whatever the House Of Horrors match is live!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalladeath View Post
I'm pretty pumped. I'm going to Payback on Sunday. It will be my first time to a live WWE event.
If you don't shout at the ref for letting the heel cheat, you're missing out.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
If nothing else, you'll get to see whatever the House Of Horrors match is live!
What are the odds this takes place in the arena? It feels like some kind of pre-recorded shenanigans, at least for part of it.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
What are the odds this takes place in the arena? It feels like some kind of pre-recorded shenanigans, at least for part of it.
They said it will "end in the ring" so I'd say pretty much 100% chance of a pretape for the House of Horrors part. It had serious trainwreck potential, especially after the awful Mania match Randy and Bray had.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:11 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Stocked View Post
They said it will "end in the ring" so I'd say pretty much 100% chance of a pretape for the House of Horrors part. It had serious trainwreck potential, especially after the awful Mania match Randy and Bray had.
The problem with mania is it was half-assed. It was like they hired the local high school's A/V Club to put on a show. If they go full crazy like the Broken Hardys thing but with a WWE budget, it could be amazing. In a cheesy pro wrestling kind of way, but still.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM
plz advise

Default Tights and Taunts: The Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Stocked View Post
Bets on it including footage from the OJ Simpson Bronco Chase are off the board.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Too Much TV Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinMelt View Post
Bets on it including footage from the OJ Simpson Bronco Chase are off the board.
Meh. I'd rather they randomly show footage from the King Of The Road match during Uncensored 1995. It's a match notable for getting both people involved fired!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
plz advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT View Post
Meh. I'd rather they randomly show footage from the King Of The Road match during Uncensored 1995. It's a match notable for getting both people involved fired!

Awwww, you didn't get my reference to WrestleMania XII's infamous Hollywood Backlot Brawl, did you?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT View Post
do not let this mislead you into thinking the King of the Road match is at all good however.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Too Much TV Game

Oh, under no stretch was it good! It's just if you're going to show dumb gimmick crap, maybe Bray's magic powers invoke WCW or something?

(In fact, there never was a good Uncensored.)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Uncensored 97 qualifies as a success I think. Some good to great workrate matches on the undercard and an entertaining car wreck main event. It'd be even more fondly remembered if Starrcade hadn't ass-fucked the Sting/Hogan blowoff.

If you go back through the history of Uncensored, it's like an extra-heightened version of the typical late-period WCW pattern where the undercard is good and the main events are apocalyptically awful. Like Uncensored 96 has the classic face-crushing brawl between Regal and Finlay, but then the main event is a legit worst of all time contender. Uncensored 98 is a killer show from the bottom up, but they top it off with Age in the Cage II.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Placeholder until I can get back to my suite, put Liam to bed, grab my làptop and yell at anyone who refuses to recognize Uncensored 97 as a great show.

You should all know what's coming. I've only linked to it half a dozen times.

(I randomly watched a match from Bash at the Beach 95 while on the beach this morning, BTW. Strangely appropriate.)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Is there not one thing

Galaxy Brain: KOJIMA'S BREAD IS RED AND BLACK, KOJIMA'S BREAD IS RED AND BLACK
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by @cozy_lariat
I ate the hotel buffet.

ate too much.

I got fat.

Immobile.

Help me?
Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Placeholder until I can get back to my suite, put Liam to bed, grab my làptop and yell at anyone who refuses to recognize Uncensored 97 as a great show.

You should all know what's coming. I've only linked to it half a dozen times.

(I randomly watched a match from Bash at the Beach 95 while on the beach this morning, BTW. Strangely appropriate.)
Why you should love Uncensored 97:

This picks up at EXACTLY the right moment. "Oh boy he laid his ol tired ass out" is, I believe, how I memorialised Dusty in the thread after his passing. As I've said before, we quite literally wore out our tape of this match at some point in 1999 just re-watching this insanity.

Also:

Dusty: A PIIIIIIIIZA PAAAAN!

(later, Johnny Grunge gets crotched on the top)

Dusty: That only looks miiiild to me.
Brain: That's the best thing that's happened to him!
Tony: That'll take his attention off his aching head!

(Yes, even Tony is firing out zingers at a rapid pace)

(Plus Sherri is all kinds of awesome in the match - check out the bump she takes near the end. I think her run with the Heat was my favourite period of her career. And Bobby is sober enough to get off more one-liners than he did in the 92 Rumble.)

(still later)

Brain: The average woman's handbag weighs about 75 pounds... it's like a bag of cement.

Also:

As TRDJ noted, that's a shockingly good card for that period of WCW:

- Really good Eddie / Dean match to start, with a great build where they start trading finishers.

- Psicosis / Dragon is merely okay, sadly. Psicosis had way too many bad nights for a worker of his calibre.

- Glacier / Mortis is astonishingly watchable.

- And the main event is surprisingly great because Jarrett and Benoit are in there for once and manage to hold the entire thing together.

And, yeah, the ending is amazing if you've never seen it. Kinda WCW's version of the Foley title win (although realistically I guess that's Goldberg's win).
Old 04-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Oily Butt Thing

It's funny. That match has sort of improved with age, because the Gangstas/TPE style mindless garbage brawl isn't played to death nowadays like it was back then. Back in the late '90s when ECW was running out of gas I think we were all sick to our back teeth of it.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
It's funny. That match has sort of improved with age, because the Gangstas/TPE style mindless garbage brawl isn't played to death nowadays like it was back then. Back in the late '90s when ECW was running out of gas I think we were all sick to our back teeth of it.
If that one in particular was five minutes shorter it'd be up there with the best of the genre, largely because a ton of it is played for comedy whereas ECW played stuff like that straight and it became mind-numbing after a while. They just went on too long.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Is there not one thing

There is a moment in every mark's life where watching stumbling-drunk Sandman whiff kendo stick shots on Super Crazy, himself too concussed to even run the ropes, loses all romance
Old 04-29-2017, 06:58 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
There is a moment in every mark's life where watching stumbling-drunk Sandman whiff kendo stick shots on Super Crazy, himself too concussed to even run the ropes, loses all romance
Cactus Jack vs. Concussed Sandman in the "STAY DOWN (you fucking idiot, this is the finish but you're too concussed to care)" match.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Is there not one thing

I remember when I first tracked this fucking match down in... 2003? The whole time I watched I convinced myself it was good with all the fervor of a man afraid of losing his faith.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Back in the 90s sometime, when I was still pretty young and not much into wrestling yet, I remember occasionally tripping over ECW TV while I was watching deep cable in the middle of the night. The impression I distinctly recall taking away was, "Since they spend most of the match wandering around through the crowd, why do they have a ring?"
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Is there not one thing

The top gimmicks they had in ECW, the ones that weren't "workrate mutant" like Benoit or Tajiri, are worthy of deep study. "Fat alcoholic," "delusional mark," "Onyx video extra," "Tommy Dreamer," this is a roll of horrors.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron